Manna at Mass?

Jesus, through the Priest offers to God His precious blood, that takes away the sin of the world. The blood of the New Lamb. God in return, through the Priest gives to the people the Sacred body of Jesus the New Real Manna from heaven! We give to God, God gives to us!

Question: How come during mass, Manna is not mentioned? Never Mentioned? The Lamb of God is brought to everyones attention throughout the mass (the New Passover, Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world). I feel the People are not aware and are missing this very important doctrine when they receive communion.

John 6:32 Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. 33For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”

Dear d,

The priest does NOT offer the Blood of Christ to the Father and then receives the Body of Jesus in return. He offers the Body AND Blood to the Father which has been sacrificed for our salvation. We then partake of that same Body and Blood in Holy Communion. We don’t give Christ to the Father; Christ gives Himself to the Father in the person of the priest. It is very important to understand this.

Manna is simply a sign that prefigured the Eucharist as food, but is not essential to the Eucharistic sacrifice. It certainly is not a statement of doctrine. The lamb of the Passover, on the other hand, is a sign not only of the Eucharist, but of its sacrificial nature. This IS essential to our understanding of the Eucharist and is acknowledged at Mass.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.