Man's distant fture

Generally speaking, what is the Catholic Church’s version of Man’s distant future on earth?
Taking into account the book of Revelations, What is Man going to be doing here–[on earth]–in 500 years?..5,000 years?

As they say on Monty Python, I’m getting better

Hopefully everyone will be within One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church and after death, living eternally in Heaven with God. Thanks and God Bless.

who cares in 100 years i will be death and my intentions of conquering the world vanished!!!

WHAT ARE YOU GONA DO TODAY MIGUEL??? SAME THING I DO EVERY DAY…TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD (INSERT EVIL LAUGH HERE)

Miguel. . .NARF!

[quote=unstresst]Generally speaking, what is the Catholic Church’s version of Man’s distant future on earth?
Taking into account the book of Revelations, What is Man going to be doing here–[on earth]–in 500 years?..5,000 years?
[/quote]

The Church does not predict the future – you’re talking about a heresy called Milliarianism, where people go into books like Revelation (not Revelations) and try to devine the future.

[quote=vern humphrey]The Church does not predict the future – you’re talking about a heresy called Milliarianism, where people go into books like Revelation (not Revelations) and try to devine the future.
[/quote]

I wouldn’t throw around the charge of heresy so lightly. It was a simple question and it has a simple answer:

Q: What does the Church say Man will be doing in the future?

A: The Church doesn’t say anything one way or another. She hopes in the ultimate restoration of unity between all faiths and the salvation of all souls.

[quote=Dr. Colossus]I wouldn’t throw around the charge of heresy so lightly. It was a simple question and it has a simple answer:

A: The Church doesn’t say anything one way or another. She hopes in the ultimate restoration of unity between all faiths and the salvation of all souls.
[/quote]

You’re making my point for me – the Church does not use Revelation or any other book to divine the future, and rejects such efforts. From the Catechism:

676 The Antichrist’s deception already begins to take shape in the world every time the claim is made to realize within history that messianic hope which can only be realized beyond history through the eschatological judgment. The Church has rejected even modified forms of this falsification of the kingdom to come under the name of millenarianism,577 especially the “intrinsically perverse” political form of a secular messianism.578

[quote=vern humphrey]The Church does not predict the future – you’re talking about a heresy called Milliarianism, where people go into books like Revelation (not Revelations) and try to devine the future.
[/quote]

I never viewed this as a heresy, exellent point. It realy is an attempt to devine the future with all of this speculation about the end. It seems to cause quite a bit of paranoia out there.

-D

[quote=vern humphrey]You’re making my point for me – the Church does not use Revelation or any other book to divine the future, and rejects such efforts. From the Catechism:

676 The Antichrist’s deception already begins to take shape in the world every time the claim is made to realize within history that messianic hope which can only be realized beyond history through the eschatological judgment. The Church has rejected even modified forms of this falsification of the kingdom to come under the name of millenarianism,577 especially the “intrinsically perverse” political form of a secular messianism.578
[/quote]

The viewpoint itself is a heresy, but it sounded like you were accusing unstresst of that heresy simply for asking the question.

[quote=Dr. Colossus]The viewpoint itself is a heresy, but it sounded like you were accusing unstresst of that heresy simply for asking the question.
[/quote]

Where in this quote did I accuse anyone of heresy?

The Church does not predict the future – you’re talking about a heresy called Milliarianism, where people go into books like Revelation (not Revelations) and try to devine the future

[quote=vern humphrey]Where in this quote did I accuse anyone of heresy?
[/quote]

That was simply the impression I got when I first read your post. It obviously wasn’t your intent, so I apologize for misunderstanding.

I thought millenarianism was the belief that after His Second Coming Christ will physically rule earth for a thousand years. There are parts of Scripture that talk about the very very end times, no? Is it heresy to believe these are talking about the future? I mean, the Catechism itself talks about the final trials of the Church, the Antichrist, and pseudo-messianism.

The world could end in 5 billion years time or in 5 seconds time.

We know nether the day nor the hour.

But it could be in 5 seconds time.

We are asked to watch and be ready.

[quote=Genesis315]I thought millenarianism was the belief that after His Second Coming Christ will physically rule earth for a thousand years. There are parts of Scripture that talk about the very very end times, no? Is it heresy to believe these are talking about the future? I mean, the Catechism itself talks about the final trials of the Church, the Antichrist, and pseudo-messianism.
[/quote]

The Church is very cautious in reading actual predictions into Revelation.

The use of Revelation for divination is another heresy all by itself.

Ok…time to inject…and uhh…refrain the question …I think.

ok, ok, ok…I think I have a start here.

…The U. S…Should we involved with trying to better other countries?
…Why? …or why not?

Our Lord did tell us that there would be signs though. Why would He tell us that if we were not to look for them?

And St Paul…

“Now the Spirit manifestly says that in the last times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to spirits of error and doctrines of devils, speaking lies in hypocrisy and having their conscience seared.” 1 Timothy 4:1.

And so did St Peter, and St John.

Worldwide apostacy was one of the signs.

“Giving heed to doctrines of devils”… makes you wonder about about Lumen Gentium and Assisi.

[quote=unstresst]Ok…time to inject…and uhh…refrain the question …I think.

ok, ok, ok…I think I have a start here.

…The U. S…Should we involved with trying to better other countries?
…Why? …or why not?
[/quote]

This should be another thread. Thanks and God Bless.

[quote=Dr. Colossus]I wouldn’t throw around the charge of heresy so lightly. It was a simple question and it has a simple answer:

[/quote]

Yep. As rational an answer here as you can get. Simple question, direct answer. I like that!

[/quote]

cs lewis has some insight!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.