Mantilla at adult confirmation

I am going to be confirmed as a catholic in January 2011 with sacraments( Adult RCIA). I am converting to the catholic religion. My entire family is catholic. This will be one of the most important moments of my life. I sincerely want to wear a midnight blue lace mantilla with my blue dress for the occasion. This will be a very spiritual moment for me and I want to honor our lord . My husband encourages me to. Would this be appropriate?

Certainly yes. Just make sure your forehead is exposed for the anointing.

Thank you for the reply…

A mantilla is never not appropriate in church!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

As spirithound said, do make sure you’re forehead is clear, but other than that, go right ahead!

And welcome home!!!
:extrahappy: :angel1: :signofcross: :bounce: :extrahappy:

as you are not being baptized you may wear whatever is appropriate for church, dress or suit for ladies, and a hat or veil if you so choose, but it is not required. You simply have to make sure your forehead is clear for the anointing so you would clip bangs back, for instance. If your parish has another custom or policy, follow what they suggest.

If ever there was an occassion deserving of a beautiful mantilla, this is the one. The way you describe it as being one of the most important moments of your life actually gave me a chill. What a wonderful time for you. God bless

Not only is it appropriate, it is a great idea. You might get looks or comments, but ignore those poor people and perhaps offer a prayer for them.

Congratulations, welcome home!

I would ask your priest or bishop first, follow their guidelines. But personally I think its a great idea! :thumbsup:

I doubt it, most people simply won’t care and are focused on their own Mass and sacraments, not even looking at what anyone else wears. Even if they did why would that change your conviction that it is the right thing to do?

welcome home to all in your confirmation class

I would like to thank everyone for their comments about wearing a mantilla for my confirmation/first communion. The mass was beautiful and the confirmation ceremony was extraordinary. I did wear the blue dress and the blue mantilla. It was simple yet most respectful. I was very nervous when I entered the vestibule , but the Deacon welcomed me with a hug and my nervousness simply vanished.
Thank you again and God Bless

Congratulations, and welcome home dear sister!
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Welcome home! In the east some women wears scarves too. It is all very beautiful! I pray God grants you many blessed years!

FWIW, my 15-year-old niece wore a mantilla when she was confirmed. :thumbsup:

Welcome home! I am getting confirmed and first Eucharist at Easter Vigil, and will be wearing a mantilla, I can’t decide silver or gold…

Both colors are beautiful. color coordinating looks great. Wear the mantilla that matches the clothing /dress you have chosen. Enjoy your special day…

Thank you. I ordered one that is wine and silver if you want to see it
veilsbylily.com/2010/09/wine-silver-lace-mantilla.html
I love Veils by Lily
and I thought the colors were so pretty and could go with a lot of things.

I bought my mantilla from veils by lily also. I was very pleased. I ordered the comb in it.
I used a tiny bobbie pin on each side to hold it in firmly. It stayed in place great.
The copper mantilla is very pretty also.

Congrats! welcome home :thumbsup:

You might want to check with others at your parish to see how much oil/chrism the priest uses for Confirmation. Our priest literally** POURS **a liberal amount on each person’s head, with it dripping down. I wouldn’t want to put a hat or mantillia over that afterward!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.