Mantilla Question

Hello! Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place, this is my first question. I am starting RCIA very soon, and I was wondering about whether or not I could where a mantilla. I am 14 and no one in my parish wears one. I go to Sat. Mass and no one wheres one on Saturday, but I've seen some older ladies wearing them on a Friday mass. So would it be acceptable to wear one on Sat.? I really want to. Thanks:)

You bet! Mantillas are not forbidden. They are optional. My wife wears one evry time she enters the church, Even if its just to pray for a few minutes. She used to get some strange looks but I think folks just finally accepted the fact.

Wearing the mantilla is a sign of respect and reverence.:thumbsup:

thank you so much:) haha im stilla little nervous about walking in though! :smiley:

You don’t have to wear a mantilla, any type of head covering will do.
Maybe try a cute hat first. :slight_smile:

If you want to, you’re most welcome to! There’s something to be said for trying to recover the sacredness of the Church with little gestures like that.

a hat? what kind?

:slight_smile: I cant wait to try it

It's certainly allowed (it formerly was required). Mantillas, though, are not the only forms of headcovering. Hats are also very popular.

Props to you for wanting to do this!

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300718424477
come look! im going to wear it like it is in the second picture!

Absolutely wear it! :) I always think it's beautiful to look out and see the ladies and young girls wearing the veils and mantillas. We only have about five or six in my parish who do so on a regular basis, but it's so great to see it!

Any kind, really.
The mantilla, except in some cultures, mostly Hispanic & Italian in my experience, was rarely worn in the US until Jackie Kennedy wore one in the 1960’s. Most women wore hats, or little chapel veils, a little round piece of lace you pinned to your head.

My favorite style of hats are the “fedora” and the “cloche”.
Here is a great website that has lots of examples, some more appropriate than others, you’ll just have to use your judgement.

My wife wore berets, scarves of all shapes and sizes, and some homemade head coverings before she had a chance to shop for a mantilla. I'm kind of partial to Jewish tiechels, but that's just because I like the way they look. Just about any covering you like, within reason, will serve the purpose. Feel free to experiment if you're so inclined.

[quote="Oneofthewomen, post:11, topic:298121"]
Any kind, really.
The mantilla, except in some cultures, mostly Hispanic & Italian in my experience, was rarely worn in the US until Jackie Kennedy wore one in the 1960's.
Most women wore hats, or little chapel veils, a little round piece of lace you pinned to your head.

My favorite style of hats are the "fedora" and the "cloche".
Here is a great website that has lots of examples, some more appropriate than others, you'll just have to use your judgement.

[/quote]

For my area those wouldn't really be appropriate, thanks for the examples though :) im just goin to go with the mantilla :D

I just bought a white long scarf from Target that is cotton and wide enough to cover my head. When I enter the church I can simply pull it up over my head and toss one end over my shoulder. It stays on much better than the black lace mantilla I bought.

hmmm i never thought of going to the store really. i already picked mine out on ebay! :smiley:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300718424477

im just a littl enervous about people looking at me funny…:o

You can also check out headcoverings-by-devorah.com/
She has some beautiful ones.

That’s a very pretty one!

I just thought perhaps you might feel more at ease with a scarf that you just pull up a bit to cover your head as opposed to a mantilla, which as someone else noted, were never really popular outside Latin countries until Jackie Kennedy wore one to Mass. Prior to that most ladies wore hats. Nowadays, hats kind of stick out too though. I think scarves might be the least “obvious” option–but then again, who cares? If you feel called to do this to glorify the Lord, no reason to be shy about it or disguise it. People really don’t look at us nearly as much as we imagine they do. They are all too busy worrying someone is looking at them, lol.

I know my wife went through what you're nervous about when she was college and decided God was calling her to start veiling in church. She still does it every time, 5 years later. I'll mention this to her, I'm sure she'll say a prayer for you.

It is very beautiful.

But I have to say, even here, where a lot of women wear a head covering, that particular one would be out of place. :o

Nice website, thank you :thumbsup:

And to the OP, Go for it!:thumbsup: :smiley: God bless you!

:highprayer:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.