Mantilla Question

This may be a dumb question, but is there any significance to the different colors of mantillas? I’ve seen black, white, beige, and blue. I just wondered if certain colors were for certain people (i.e. white for unmarried, beige for married, black for either, etc.)

Its just a question that I’ve had for a while! Thanks!!

I think…

Black=Non Catholics
White=Catholics

Uh, oh! I hope not.

I thought black was for married women, and white for singles. My Catholic wife wears a black one.

She receives communion as do other women wearing black mantillas.

Black: Married
White: Not Married

Some choose to go by these colors. I know a lot of girls/women that do not. Just depends on whatever your little heart desires.

:slight_smile:

God bless you!

In Jesus and Mary,
Marie

Lol, Im probably wrong…

I just figured since significant government figures (ie. first ladies and heads of states), generally wear mantilla’s of either white or black when they are in the presence of the Holy Father.

Whenever I’m at a TLM and have a mantilla, I wear a black one. Well, first it started off being black because I just never got around to going out and buying a mantilla (hey, what can I say, I live in a cold city with no car most of the year :stuck_out_tongue: ) so I just took one of my black shaws and used it as a veil. Then I found my mom’s old mantilla (from when headcoverings even took place in Anglican world!), which happened to be black, and I use that one. I’m not married, but it doesn’t seem to be a problem that I’ve worn a black mantilla instead of a white one. I’ve even seen a woman wearing an absolutely beautiful royal blue one, so I guess it doesn’t matter TOO much.

I agree

Pax
Laudater Jesus Christo
Instaurae omnia in Christo

Royal blue is Mary’s color I was told. I want a blue one with silver and god threads woven in it. I think that would be my "dream"mantilla.:smiley:

But, to answer the origional question. The white was not only an unmarried female. It designated a virgin :slight_smile: as the wedding veil does (ok I know not many people think this way:( ) But it is the origional meaning.:yup:

personal preference, do you want it to blend with your hair color or contrast?

Queen Sofia of Spain wore a beautiful black mantilla to Pope John Paul II’s funeral, and a white one to Pope Benedict’s inaugural Mass.

Yes - I think black is more for mourning (or maybe for widows :().

Catholig

I’ve always thought black was traditional for married ladies (and widows) and didn’t signify mourning. I suspect most people get black or white because they’re easiest to find and don’t clash with most colors. I’m married and mine is black (not in mourning). I doubt anyone would criticize your color choice.

I dated a girl several years ago who refused to wear a white mantilla. She preferred to wear one that was more of a beige if I remember correctly.

The typical colors are white for single women and black for married women. But since there is really no official rule saying so I have seen a variety of colors.

James

Last Sunday I was able for the first time (and the last time for at least another year) to attend the TLM in my city. I happily chose one of my small collection of black mantillas and plopped it on my head. When I got inside, I found that I was just about the only woman in church wearing a black mantilla. Everyone else’s was white or light beige, regardless of age. I think it had to do with its being the hottest day of the year.

So, even without any evidence concerning what the ladies wear in the winter, my guess for our city is:

White = summer
Black = winter

Betsy

i was told that black is for married and white is for unmarried. others colors came about when hats became used more often. the little lace mantillas that look like cap were intended for children but mothers had discovered that its easier for babies not to grab them and pull them off their head. so some adults started wearing them also.

some people say that the mantilla is chovanistic. it is actually quite the opposite. it is an outward sign of humility we got to show God. the men can only genuflect. i think it is sad that the women have lost this tradition in the novus ordo.

Queen Sofia of Spain wore a beautiful black mantilla to Pope John Paul II’s funeral, and a white one to Pope Benedict’s inaugural Mass.

I’ve read that the Queen of Spain is the only woman who is allowed to wear white when meeting with the pope; others are to wear black.

I wear any color that matches my outfit, it’s not the color that is significant but the meaning behind the veil!

JMJ

when I was a little girl all moms wore black and the girls wore white. The cap type was required when I was confirmed…but I am old. Now I think it has more to do with personal preference.

I used to wear white most of the year, but black during penitential seasons. I was unmarried at that point.

I have heard of the married vs. single color coding, but I don’t think anyone would think much of someone who doesn’t follow that. :slight_smile:

I wear black most of the year, and save my white one for Christmas, Easter and the Easter season.
I would love a blue one for Mary days. We will see.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.