Mantilla questions

On Sunday I am going to a TLM with my young adult group. Ihave been to them before but have never worn my mantilla, I just have a few questions about what other women typically do....do you put it on in the car? Or do you wait until you're in the church? Also, how do you keep it from slipping?

I am kind of nervous to wear it. I'm 23 and I feel like people will think I am weird, although possibly less at this parish since they have regular Latin Masses.

Thanks for your help!

If the mantilla makes you nervous, consider a hat instead. In America, in the pre-Vatican ll days, most women wore hats to Sunday Mass, not the lacy mantilla. Some bobby pins should work at keeping a mantilla on. Most ladies put it on in their car in the parking lot or as they are walking into church instead of driving in from home with it on.

[quote="emeraldocean, post:1, topic:294477"]
On Sunday I am going to a TLM with my young adult group. Ihave been to them before but have never worn my mantilla, I just have a few questions about what other women typically do....do you put it on in the car? Or do you wait until you're in the church? Also, how do you keep it from slipping?

I am kind of nervous to wear it. I'm 23 and I feel like people will think I am weird, although possibly less at this parish since they have regular Latin Masses.

Thanks for your help!

[/quote]

Be counter cultural, if your friends say anything tell them that. Three cheers for the Latin Mass. I go to the regular Mass and we have a few older Spanish women who wear the Mantilla. I would rather see that than hats becuse women used to try to out do each other with hats ( just like hair does), so it kind of defeated the purpose. When my Mom was a young lady, women wore hats every where, Church too.

I ware a hat all the time, except in church. In fact I have a ball cap on right now and I have had it on all evening!!! I drives my friends nuts. Who cares, I'm countter cultural!!!

I’m just gonna throw it out there, but some women try and outdo each other with mantillas too. At the very least they are focused on making sure to get whichevver they see as the prettiest. With such considerations as how fine the lace is, the colour of the mantilla, whether or not it has metallic accents etc. :shrug: This is a problem to do with human nature, not hats specifically. Please note that I have nothing against mantillas, I am just pointing out that there is not more of a problem iwth hats than mantillas.

To the OP:

When I used to visit an SSPX chapel most women would put on their veils right before entering the Church, although if you want to fix it in place with bobby pins you might want to do it in your car so that you aren’t fussing with it in public.

I put my mantilla on inside the church. I keep it in the ziplock bag it came in with a single bobby pin. Just one bobby pin is all I need to keep it on my head. I don't think people will think it's weird because most women have their heads covered at TLM.

I wear a mantilla for TLM and adoration/benediction. At TLM it's fine because everyone is wearing them, but I definitely haven't gotten used to it at adoration or benediction (especially if it's at my parish) because I feel like people will think that since I'm a new Catholic, I'm being over the top or something. I usually sit in the back (to not be distracting). When the weather gets cool, I will wear berets because they are less conspicuous.

I normally put it on just before walking into church and remove after leaving the building. I've been preferring my small hat for Ordinary Form, and may use my mantillas more for Extraordinary Form to not stick out like a sore thumb. But, when cooler weather comes, I may go from my spring/summer hat to my black mantilla regardless of Mass form I attend.

[quote="LightBound, post:2, topic:294477"]
If the mantilla makes you nervous, consider a hat instead. In America, in the pre-Vatican ll days, most women wore hats to Sunday Mass, not the lacy mantilla. Some bobby pins should work at keeping a mantilla on. Most ladies put it on in their car in the parking lot or as they are walking into church instead of driving in from home with it on.

[/quote]

And since it is summer time, at least in the US, a pretty straw hat would be great. :thumbsup:

I put mine on in the vestibule of the Church.
I see most of the other ladies put it on either as they walk in or in the vestibule.

Not every woman wears a headcovering at the TLM I attend.
Most wear skirts but not all. Skirts are de rigueur for women in some places.

If the veil is light it should stay on its own.
If it's long or heavy, nowadays bobby pins are commonly used to keep it in place.

I have one long veil which I have sewn a small clear comb into it to keep it in place. This used to be common to sew a comb or flat clip into them.

So it is sounding like most people put them on in the car...I'll go with that then since I will need to put a bobby pin in it.

Unfortunately hats and I don't get along too well, haha, I never fit in them. I really love cloches, too, but my head is kind of square in front or something so they never fit. So for me it's pretty much either the mantilla or no head covering. Which I have done before at Latin Masses, I just would really like to use the mantilla.

[quote="mfrances, post:8, topic:294477"]
I put mine on in the vestibule of the Church.
I see most of the other ladies put it on either as they walk in or in the vestibule.

Not every woman wears a headcovering at the TLM I attend.
Most wear skirts but not all. Skirts are de rigueur for women in some places.

If the veil is light it should stay on its own.
If it's long or heavy, nowadays bobby pins are commonly used to keep it in place.

I have one long veil which I have sewn a small clear comb into it to keep it in place. This used to be common to sew a comb or flat clip into them.

[/quote]

Yes there is one lady at my regular church (which is very orthodox, priest wears fiddlebacks, and I see several people wearing mantillas at Adoration, but only one at Mass) who wears one to Mass that clearly has some kind of comb in it. I want to ask her if she added the comb herself. I have a dress in mind too, it's knee length/slightly above the knee (has two layers) so I hope it is all right, I have worn it to Mass before and got compliments from random people I didn't know so hopefully it will be good for the TLM too.

Thanks :slight_smile: kudos for using it at Adoration and benediction. The only lady who wears one at my regular Mass is actually a convert from Anglicanism. I think it’s so awesome that she wears it! so maybe there are people at your church who are grateful that you wear it too! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.