Manufacture of LDS "garments"

Are they handmade or mass produced? I don’t think I’ve ever found an answer to this question. I will now return to my regularly scheduled crocheting.

I think some of Daymon Smith’s research suggests that these are now mass-produced outside of the U.S. See his work, “The Book of Mammon,” for the not-very-citable details. These were once hand made items, and there was even a choice of providers at one point. Some of the early LDS publications would contain ads for them. I suppose it’s still possible for the LDS to make their own if they wish.

I believe the ZCMI used to produce them. I am not entirely sure anymore. I can tell you that on my garments it does say “made in USA”. Thats all I really know about them. Oh, and that the bottoms cost about 3 bucks and so do the tops and they have like a bunch of different materials now like Silk, thermals, cotton, cotton/poly, drilux, and a bunch of others.

Apparently there is a single company, Beehive Clothing Mills, which produces the garments and which is run by the Mormon church, and yes, most of these garments are mass-produced.

Did I miss something? What is a LDS garment?

(Is it Latter Day Saints?) and if so, why the interest on a catholic website?

I am intrigued!

From what I remember, the Mormons apparently believe they have the ability to produce "magic underwear" which makes them essentially bullet-proof. Back in WW2 they tried to sell this to the US Army (with the expected results).

[quote="hs_hopeful, post:1, topic:296873"]
Are they handmade or mass produced? I don't think I've ever found an answer to this question. I will now return to my regularly scheduled crocheting.

[/quote]

With the volume of garments made and bought, I'm pretty confident that they are mass produced.

[quote="supergran, post:5, topic:296873"]

I am intrigued!

[/quote]

Yes, LDS stands for Latter-day Saint(s), referring to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, sometimes called "the Mormon Church".

An "LDS Garment" is referring to a sacred undergarment worn by Latter-day Saints that have participated in a ritual known as the "endowment". This ritual takes place in our temples (which are different from "meetinghouses" where we have our Sunday worship, social activities, weekly scripture studies, meetings, etc. As part of the Endowment, a Latter-day Saint is washed and anointed, with various blessings pronounced on them. They also make various covenants with God. The Latter-day Saint then is able to wear "the garment" or, "Garment of the Holy Priesthood", which is worn at all times under their clothes (only taken off during activities that necessitate it being taken off).

The garment symbolizes many things, such as " purity and helps assure modesty, respect for the attributes of God, and, to the degree it is honored, a token of what Paul regarded as taking upon one the whole armor of God. It is an outward expression of an inward covenant, and symbolizes Christlike attributes in one's mission in life. Garments bear several simple marks of orientation toward the gospel principles of obedience, truth, life, and discipleship in Christ." (From the Encyclopedia of Mormonism, "Garments"). Quite simply, it reminds one of the covenants they entered into during the Endowment.

[quote="Glomung, post:6, topic:296873"]
From what I remember, the Mormons apparently believe they have the ability to produce "magic underwear" which makes them essentially bullet-proof. Back in WW2 they tried to sell this to the US Army (with the expected results).

[/quote]

Firstly, Latter-day Saints do not refer to the garments as "magic underwear". We refer to them as garments. "Magic underwear" is a caricature and a slur. We also do not believe that they make us "essentially bullet-proof".

Also, I would be interested in seeing more about this apparent selling of garments during WW2 to the army. I've never heard that before (and I can't find anything with a Google search).

[quote="supergran, post:5, topic:296873"]

I am intrigued!

[/quote]

The Mormon church promotes the wearing of special garments, called temple garments, to protect against (among other things) sexual sins. Generally it consists of two pieces, a short-sleeved top, and then a bottom piece similar to old-fashioned bloomers. They differ between the male/female versions, but are intended for the same purpose.

Faithful Mormons wear these all the time under their ordinary clothing, and when a person enters the Mormon church, part of their initiation involves the putting on of these garments within the temple as a symbolic gesture.

There's a lot of controversy about these garments on many religious sites, not just CAF, along with other aspects of Mormon practice.

[quote="hs_hopeful, post:1, topic:296873"]
Are they handmade or mass produced? I don't think I've ever found an answer to this question. I will now return to my regularly scheduled crocheting.

[/quote]

They are definitely mass produced. You can buy them on store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_21152_-1_Y_image_0 if you have an account that is updated by your local church leaders saying you have a temple recommend.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.