Many are called but few are chosen

My non catholic friend says that

Many are called ( to the ministry) but few are chosen ( by Jesus 5 fold)

That many ministry are not called and chosen to the 5 fold ministry

But they think they are chosen because they are called educated i n understanding scripture.

What is your understanding of this scripture?

This sounds like an eisegesis – that is, an attempt to read into Scripture something that isn’t there, but is something that someone already believes and wants to justify from the Bible text.

In fact, the context of the quote is not ‘ministry’, per se, but ‘membership’ (in the Kingdom of God). Jesus is telling the parable of the wedding feast, and there is a particular dynamic that he explicitly mentions: there are those who are invited but who refuse to come to the feast, and therefore, the king invites all (not just the original guests on the list).

Jesus is talking to the Pharisees and chief priests who are rejecting him rather than accepting his invitation. He’s not offering a critique on Church ministries.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Hi, Larry!

…ever seen that commercial about a juice/soft drink: poppy-monkey-baby… this little creature rolls in to a place and brings three guys a drink… head of a poppy, torso of a monkey, bottom of a baby… it’s quite amusing… but it’s only a matter of technical construction…

Too many times Scriptures are cut and pasted in such a way to mean whatever is being sought…

Understanding this passage in such way would mean that the splintering of the Mystical Body of Christ was not only by human design but by God’s own Design: Jesus Founded His Church, Called for His Disciples to be United as one in Him only so that many schisms be formed…

Rather than to invent the wheel, look at it in the light of other passages that speak to this very Call and Division:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]11 He came to his own domain and his own people did not accept him. 12 But to all who did accept him he gave power to become children of God, to all who believe in the name of him 13 who was born not out of human stock or urge of the flesh or will of man but of God himself.

(St. John 1:11-13)

14 as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, 15 so that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him. 16 Yes, God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not be lost but may have eternal life. 17 For God sent his Son into the world not to condemn the world, but so that through him the world might be saved. 18 No one who believes in him will be condemned; but whoever refuses to believe is condemned already, because he has refused to believe in the name of God’s only Son. 19 On these grounds is sentence pronounced: that though the light has come into the world men have shown they prefer darkness to the light because their deeds were evil. 20 And indeed, everybody who does wrong hates the light and avoids it, for fear his actions should be exposed; 21 but the man who lives by the truth comes out into the light, so that it may be plainly seen that what he does is done in God;’ (St. John 3:14-21)

21 ‘It is not those who say to me, “Lord, Lord”, who will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the person who does the will of my Father in heaven. 22 When the day comes many will say to me, “Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, cast out demons in your name, work many miracles in your name?” 23 Then I shall tell them to their faces: I have never known you; away from me, you evil men!’ (St. Matthew 7:21-23)

33 He will place the sheep on his right hand and the goats on his left. 34 Then the King will say to those on his right hand, “Come, you whom my Father has blessed, take for your heritage the kingdom prepared for you since the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food; I was thirsty and you gave me drink; I was a stranger and you made me welcome; 36 naked and you clothed me, sick and you visited me, in prison and you came to see me.” 37 Then the virtuous will say to him in reply, “Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you; or thirsty and give you drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and make you welcome; naked and clothe you; 39 sick or in prison and go to see you?” 40 And the King will answer, “I tell you solemnly, in so far as you did this to one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did it to me”. (St. Matthew 25:33-40)

40 Then of two men in the fields one is taken, one left; 41 of two women at the millstone grinding, one is taken, one left. 42 ‘So stay awake, because you do not know the day when your master is coming. (St. Matthew 24:40-42)
It is about Christ and Salvation!

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.