Many casualties expected after big quake in Haiti

AP - The largest earthquake ever recorded in the area rocked Haiti on Tuesday, collapsing a hospital where people screamed for help and damaging other buildings. An aid official described "total disaster and chaos."

us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topstories;_ylc=X3oDMTI1bzcwNGcxBFJfYWlkAwRSX2RtbgN5YWhvby5jb20EUl9maWQDN2Q5NGE2MDRiMjA3OWM1YTM0ZTM5NzM0MzU5ZjMxNDYEUl9sdHADMQ--/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100113/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/cb_haiti_earthquake

The U.S. State Dept has a hotline for those seeking information about relatives in Haiti: 1-888-407-474

Yea I saw this on the news. So sad, especially to such a poor country. I'm a little confused though. How can Haiti have an earthquake if it's not near the edge of a plate?

[quote="Alegare21, post:3, topic:182875"]
Yea I saw this on the news. So sad, especially to such a poor country. I'm a little confused though. How can Haiti have an earthquake if it's not near the edge of a plate?

[/quote]

Actually, the Caribbean is a techtonic "hot spot", much like Hawaii, which is literally smack dab in the middle of a plate. Suprisingly, there are eighteen volcanoes in the Caribbean, such as the one on Montserrat, which erupted and devastated that island several years ago. Guadalupe was also famous for erupting a couple hundred years ago during the colonial era. The island of Dominica has no fewer than NINE volcanoes! Earthquakes are somewhat rare in the region, but certainly not unheard of.

Also remember, the largest earthquake in US history occurred in MISSOURI, along the New Madrid fault! It actually caused the Mississippi River to run backwards for a day, and seriously shook buildings as far away as Washington, D.C. Thankfully, this occurred in the 1810s, so almost no one lived there.

By the way, the Caribbean may win for the best volcano names. Famous volcanoes include Mt. Pelee, the “Valley of Desolation” caldera, Morne au Diable, Morne Diablotins, and the greatest volcano name of all… “Kick-'em Jenny” on Grenada!

The Haitian capital was largely destroyed in the most powerful earthquake to hit the country in more than 200 years. Journalists from The Associated Press described severe and widespread casualties after a tour of streets where blood and bodies could be seen......

Haiti

[quote="Rolltide, post:4, topic:182875"]
Actually, the Caribbean is a techtonic "hot spot", much like Hawaii, which is literally smack dab in the middle of a plate. Suprisingly, there are eighteen volcanoes in the Caribbean, such as the one on Montserrat, which erupted and devastated that island several years ago. Guadalupe was also famous for erupting a couple hundred years ago during the colonial era. The island of Dominica has no fewer than NINE volcanoes! Earthquakes are somewhat rare in the region, but certainly not unheard of.

Also remember, the largest earthquake in US history occurred in MISSOURI, along the New Madrid fault! It actually caused the Mississippi River to run backwards for a day, and seriously shook buildings as far away as Washington, D.C. Thankfully, this occurred in the 1810s, so almost no one lived there.

[/quote]

That many volcanoes? wow thats crazy. thanks

Haiti's first lady says "most of Port-au-Prince is destroyed," according to Haiti ambassador to U.S.
bit.ly/82whW7http://seesmic.com/web/spacer.png

The pictures coming out of Haiti say it all.
They need our prayers and assistance.

Bird of frail wing
with so much to bear,
so little strength
As you struggle to stay aloft
do you sometimes wonder why?
So do I
May He mend your wing,
give a new song
and send you fresh breezes
in which to soar...*

For all of Haiti -

Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with Thee
Blessed art Thou amongst women and blessed
is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen :gopray2: :signofcross:

The 63 year old archbishop of Haiti has been found dead in his office. Lord have mercy on the people of Haiti!

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - Haitians are piling bodies along the devastated streets of their capital after a powerful earthquake flattened the president's palace and the main prison, the cathedral, hospitals, schools and thousands of homes. Untold numbers are still trapped.

President Rene Preval says he believes thousands of people are dead even as other officials give much higher estimates—though they were based on the extent of the destruction rather than firm counts of the dead.

His prime minister, Jean-Max Bellerive, tells CNN: "I believe we are well over 100,000," while leading senator Youri Latortue tells The Associated Press that 500,000 could be dead. Both admit they have no way of knowing.

breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9D70GP00&show_article=1

Some links for those inclined to help from “The Anchoress”

Michelle Malkin: chronicles how America is helping

And, yea, this is in our back yard, not across the world. It is our responsibility to help.

Navy will play a big role in releaf.

Please consider donating to Catholic Relief Services - they were the first organization mentioned on the news and no doubt because they are already there, they don't need to arrive from anyplace else!!!

My husband said this morning, "I wish there is something we could do to help.". * Duh!!! *

I mailed my check (their website www.crs.org was too slow) this morning. It isn't much money but if everyone at CAF mailed in $5 it would be a significant contribution.

Catholic Relief Services
P.O. Box 17090
Baltimore MD 21203-7090

:D

Actually, the Caribbean is a techtonic “hot spot”, much like Hawaii, which is literally smack dab in the middle of a plate. …Earthquakes are somewhat rare in the region, but certainly not unheard of.

This is incorrect. Yes, Hawaii is believed to be over a mantle plume, or hot spot. But Haiti sits right in the region of a plate boundary, between the North American and Caribbean plates. This is a transform plate boundary, meaning that the plates are moving laterally (side by side) with respect to one another. The San Andreas is also a transform plate boundary, fyi. Earthquakes are normal and expected in the region; the Caribbean is quite active tectonically. Disclaimer: I am a geologist, though not a seismologist or geophysicist.

The U.S. Geological Survey has a good summary, with maps, of the event: earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2010/us2010rja6/#summary

And, as of 15 mintues ago, Catholic Relief Services was operating normally and accepting credit card donations online. www.crs.org

WaPo coverage on Haiti: "Tens of thousands feared dead"
bit.ly/91Q0xqhttp://seesmic.com/web/spacer.png

NBC: Obama called George W Bush last night, asked him to join up w/ex-Pres. Clinton to lead humanitarian relief efforts. Formally announced tomorrow

U.S. sending up to 3,500 troops to Haiti from army's 82nd airborne -official

Here are some of the ways we can help:

cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/impact/

God bless the people of Haiti and bring them some good out this painful ordeal.
May they come out of this stronger...

I tried to call the number for Catholic Relief Services…a recording told me to call back later due to the volume of calls coming in…I will now try their website just to see if I can get in to donate. Like you, it isn’t much but you’re right…if everyone just gave $5 it would amount to a ton of money! BTW, thanks for the address, maybe we’ll have to go that route.

Jesus have mercy on us and on the whole world!!! Have mercy on these poor people!!

Wow, yep, just got through to Catholic Relief Services website....you can donate online if you wish. www.crs.org.

you can also donate through bill pay by useing the address that someone already posted. the Po Box address. it was painless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.