Many Mary Questions!

Hello,
A protestant friend of mine is interested in the Catholic faith and is drilling me with all sorts questions about Mary that I cannot answer. I need some info about Mary as the new Eve, Mary as the Ark of the Covenent, Mary in the book of Revelation, her coronation, and assumption. Are all these points found in the bible and are they official doctrines of the Catholic Church?
Thanks for the help!
Nonie

Try this.

Mary had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb.

Mary had a little lamb, whose fleece was white as snow.

Everywhere that Mary went, Mary went, Mary went,

Everywhere that Mary went the lamb was sure to go.
Luke 2:

**[51] And he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart.

John.1

29] The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold, the** Lamb of God**, who takes away the sin of the world!

Hail Holy Queen by Scott han
This is a great book that goes over all of that and is well written and an overall good book.

[quote=Montie Claunch]Hail Holy Queen by Scott han
This is a great book that goes over all of that and is well written and an overall good book.
[/quote]

An “overall good book”? No way. It’s an awesome book. :thumbsup:

I would also, perhaps later, recommend “True Devotion to Mary” by St. Louis de Montfort.

Read the CA Tracts: Mary and the Saints

Hahn’s HAIL, HOLY QUEEN is a perfect reference for all your questions! Mine came in the mail in like 4 days and I read it in 2! Also, Scott Hahn’s website has a great Scripture Study that corresponds to the book.

The Immaculate Conception of Mary, the Assumption, Mary mother of God and mother of the Church, Mediatrix, Advocate, New Eve, Ark of the New Covenant, Ever Virgin, Queen of Heaven and Earth, etc. are all official doctrines and dogmas of the Church. Also, co-redemptrix is acceptable, but not official.

I would also recommend reading:

His Holiness Pope Pius IX’s encyclical “Ineffabilis Deus” (Ex Cathedra statement proclaiming the Immaculate Conception of Mary)

**His Holiness Pope Pius XII’s encyclical “AD Caeli Reginam” (Ex Cathedra statement proclaiming the Queenship of Mary). **

And Pope Pius XII’s Apostolic Constitution “Munificentissimus Deus” (Ex Cathedra statement defining the dogma the Assumption of Mary)

**There is a lot to read on the subject.:slight_smile: **

It is great that you want to help your friend out, but for your sake and his/hers, I would recommend that your friend “prioritize”, starting with the “top 5” or “top 10” questions. Take them one at a time, work slowly, don’t get sidetracked into splitting off in a thousand directions. The resources mentioned are excellent; CA tracts I think particularly so.

God bless!

[quote=Pentecost2005]I would also, perhaps later, recommend “True Devotion to Mary” by St. Louis de Montfort.
[/quote]

Eh, this book may be a little much for a current Protestant. I would 100% unhesitatingly recommend Hail, Holy Queen! If, however, you can’t get the book, here is the link to Scott Hahn’s audio series based on his book:

ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/file_index.asp?SeriesId=6668&pgnu=

PS - The Catholic Church condemned “Mary worship” as heresy a long time ago (I think in the 400’s) when some individuals started offerring the Eucharistic Sacrifice to her. Does anyone know the name of this heresy?, because I’ve been looking for it! :thumbsup:

Understanding typology is the key. The things of the Old Testament were shadows of the good things to come. (See Colossians 2:17; Hebrews 8:5; 10:1) In Romans 5:14, St. Paul refers to Adam as a type of Jesus. Other examples of typology mentioned in Scripture are Noah’s flood and the Red Sea which are Old Testament types or *shadows *of Christian baptism. (See 1 Peter 3:20-21; 1 Corinthians 10:2)

More pertinent examples of typology:
-Disobedient Adam and Eve are Old Testament types or shadows of obedient Jesus and Mary. (Romans 5:14)
-King Solomon and his Queen-mother, Bathsheba, are Old Testament types or shadows of Jesus and Mary in glory. (1 Kings 2:19-20; Revelation 12:1-5)
-The Tablets of stone enscribed with the words of God and the Ark of the Covenant that held them are Old Testament types or shadows of Jesus (the Word of God) and Mary who carried him about in her womb for nine months.

Another important example of typology:
-King Hezekiah’s chief steward Shebna and Shebna’s successor Eliakim are Old Testament types or shadows of Jesus’ chief steward, St. Peter, and his successors, the bishops of Rome (the popes). (Isaiah 22:15-25; Matthew 16:18-19)

“The World’s First Love, Mary Mother of God” by Fulton Sheen is a great book.

[quote=Nonie]Hello,
A protestant friend of mine is interested in the Catholic faith and is drilling me with all sorts questions about Mary that I cannot answer. I need some info about Mary as the new Eve, Mary as the Ark of the Covenent, Mary in the book of Revelation, her coronation, and assumption. Are all these points found in the bible and are they official doctrines of the Catholic Church?
Thanks for the help!
Nonie
[/quote]

One of the very best books on Mary that is easily available FREE from The Catholic Home Study Service is “Christ’s Mother & Ours” by Fr. Oscar Lukefahr. The whole series would be really good for your friend, but this one’s perfect for his questions.
Pax tecum,

I would also, perhaps later, recommend “True Devotion to Mary” by St. Louis de Montfort.

Here’s a link to the book which I highly recommend:
ewtn.com/library/Montfort/TRUEDEVO.HTM

Here’s a link to St. Louis de Montfort’s “Secret of Mary” which I think is basically a summary of “True Devotion”:
ewtn.com/library/Montfort/SECRET.HTM

I highly recommend reading “True Devotion to Mary”. I also recommend “Hail Holy Queen” by Scott Hahn.

I believe what you are talking about involved the group called the Collyridians. Here is a link to the article about it by Patrick Madrid from this site. catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9410hotm.asp
Nonie

[quote=Nonie]I believe what you are talking about involved the group called the Collyridians. Here is a link to the article about it by Patrick Madrid from this site. catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9410hotm.asp
Nonie
[/quote]

Thanks a lot! I’ve been trying to find that. :thumbsup:

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.