Mar. 26 - Feast of the Annunciation celebrated universally

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Today the Universal Catholic Church celebrates liturgically, the Feast of the Annunciation.

Some hearts have been celebrating for three days now! I, for one, with other[ Legion of Mary]("http://www.legionofmary.ie/") Members, celebrated the Acies Mass for our region on Saturday, Mar. 24. Those of us here at CAF who made the Preparation of 33 Days for Consecration to Jesus through Mary on March 25, prayed St. Louis Marie de Montfort's Act of Consecration yesterday. Today, Mar. 26, the date to which the Feast is transferred for this year, priests all over the world will be offering Mass for this Feast Day. Today's Mass Readings [HERE]("http://www.catholicemporium.com/daily-catholic-mass-readings/?p=3325") can help us ponder anew the great mystery of God's Love, coming to us through Mary in the Incarnation of Jesus.

I celebrated the Liturgy of this Feast on Saturday, but I know that many more will be celebrating today and we can all rejoice with heaven and earth over the wonder of God’s Great Love for us in giving us Jesus through Mary. One Legion of Mary Group I know is celebrating their Acies today, and I suspect others all over the world will be doing the same. I promised I would write more about that experience in a separate thread and so I will post here an excerpt from the Legion of Mary Handbook which explains it well:

...Bearing in mind the importance of devotion to Mary in the Legion system, each year there shall be a consecration of legionaries to Our Lady. The consecration - which shall comprise both an individual and a collective consecration - will take place on the 25 March or on a day close thereto, and will be known as the Acies. This Latin word, meaning as it does an army ranged in battle array, is appropriate to a ceremony in which the legionaries as a body assemble to renew their fealty to Mary, Queen of the Legion, and from her to receive strength and blessing for yet another year's battle with the forces of evil. Moreover, the word is in effective contrast with praesidium, which contemplates the Legion, no longer drawn up in united array, but split up into its various sections, each engaged in its own particular sphere of duty.
The Acies is the great central annual function of the Legion, so that it is necessary to stress the importance of attendance on the part of every member. The essential idea of the Legion, upon which all else is built, is that of working in union with and in dependence on Mary, its Queen. The Acies is the solemn expression of that union and dependence, the renewal-individual and collective-of the legionary declaration of fealty.
At our Mass, last Saturday, I was especially moved by three who came: one in a wheel chair, and two in walkers, one of whom breathing oxygen via tubes from a portable oxygen tank. What loving fortitude, to be there, no matter the cost! I prayed for all of you, dear brothers and sisters, and continue to keep you and all those in most need of God's Mercy in prayer.

Please let us prayerfully and gratefully continue, to celebrate today God's Great Love and Humility in His Incarnation and in our Beautiful Mother through whom He came to us, and invites us to return to Him.

I have just been to a lovely mass to celebrate the Annunciation. I have also asked for the reparation of the Immaculate Heart of Our Lady in my other prayer intentions. Thank God for Our Blessed Lady, Queen of heaven and our Blessed Mother.

God bless

Not universally. The Eastern Catholic Churches celebrate it as one of the 12 great feasts, which means it trumps other celebrations. It stayed on the calendar yesterday and St. Mary of Egypt was skipped.

The Roman Catholic/western liturgical calendar moved it from Sunday to Monday.

I’m not sure I follow you. Are you saying that you celebrated the Annuciation at a Liturgy on Saturday? That doesn’t make sense, for today is the Annunciation. The USCCB moved it to Mon, March 26 in the USA. One isn’t allowed to celebrate Solemnities whenever one wishes.

Please, forgive me if I have misread you.

I went Saturday to the church grounds to help weed the Mary Garden while praying to the Blessed Virgin Mary. I went yesterday being Sunday to mass and prayed to the Blessed Virgin Mary. I went this morning to mass at 10am to the Feast of the Annunciation. I love The Blessed Virgin Mary so much!

Good point.

I wonder why some ECCs move the Immaculate Conception (ECC Dec 9, RC Dec 8) in the US to the RC date? I’d guess solidarity – but if that’s so, why not do it with other feasts?

That feast is special because the 1846 Council of Baltimore declared Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception to be the patroness of the US. That’s why some of the American Eastern Catholics go out of their way to express solidarity on that feast day.

Dear friend,

You did not misread my post. I was surprised at the use of the liturgy for the Feast being used on Saturday, Mar.24 when on my calendar, the Feast had been transferred to Mar. 26. I had thought we would be celebrating the Mass of the Saturday in Lent. I didn’t think to ask the priest celebrant, but I assumed he must have had permission from the Bishop, since the “Acies” Mass is so special to the Legion of Mary. I understood that it was not a “trivial” change nor one done at the whim of a one or a few persons. The liturgy is sacred.

In other areas the Acies Mass was celebrated on Mar. 26, but I think perhaps Saturday enabled more persons to attend in our area. Many traveled quite a distance. If I have an opportunity to check about the permission, I’ll try to get back to you on that.

Dear Friend,

Thanks for the correction. :slight_smile: I’m sorry to have neglected the beautiful tradition of our Eastern Catholic Churches. Please forgive me for that. I’m glad it stayed on your calendar.

May Jesus and Mary reign in our hearts and the kingdom of God come to all.

Rev 22:17 The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let him who hears say, “Come.” And let him who is thirsty come, let him who desires take the water of life without price.

Dear MS_SURVEYOR,

Thanks for your reply and your loving devotion to our Mother Mary who always leads us to her Son. I read in the Pope’s Angelus Address in Mexico a very beautiful phrase:

…To love her means being committed to listening to her Son… Pope Benedict XVI

Full text of his Angelus Address may be read HERE

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.