Marian apparitions and the sex scandal

Are there any Marian apparition in the last century that warns us about the church’s sex scandal? I feel that the church has been attacked by surprise. If the church has been warned then the situation would not have been so bad.

Please don’t conflate Mary and the sex scandals.

The church knows whats going on, it lives in secular society. this isn’t new, we aren’t attacked by surprise. Its been known and going on for decades.
what has changed is victims are finally speaking up, they grew up. and society is now demanding something done, people brought to justice and victims cared for and listened to properly

Our Lady of Akita in the late 1970’s - early 1980s did say this:

“The work of the devil will infiltrate even into the Church
in such a way that one will see cardinals opposing cardinals,
bishops against other bishops. The priests who venerate Me
will be scorned and opposed by their confrérés… churches
and altars sacked; the Church will be full of those who
accept compromises and the demon will press many priests
and consecrated souls to leave the service of the Lord.

“The demon will be especially implacable against souls
consecrated to God. The thought of the loss of so many souls
is the cause of My sadness. If sins increase in number and
gravity, there will be no longer pardon for them."

Fr Gobbi indirectly alluded to that problem.

I think that if the Virgin really did appear to give warnings she would speak in clear language and not riddles.

You must be kidding. People haven’t paid much attention to anything else Mary warned about; why would they suddenly start paying attention if it involved priests?

Mary’s messages at several apparitions indicated that mankind on the whole was sinful, and also that prayers were needed both for sinners in general and for the Pope, bishops, priests and members of religious orders specifically. There have always been sinful priests, regardless of whether they were sinning sexually or through some other way like blasphemy or greed. Sister Lucia and many other saints and visionaries have always said we should pray for the Pope and for priests.

Furthermore, if you grew up in USA when I did, you would have seen so many priests visibly and publicly saying and doing un-priestly things, you wouldn’t have needed Mary to warn you that they were capable of all kinds of rot.

Mary’s exhortations for us to pray for sinners and for the world are hardly a riddle.

It’s certain losers of humans that want to read a lot of weird mystical stuff into the fairly simple things that Mary says. Which are basically, pray and do penance and repent.

“When you see a night illumined by an unknown light, know that this is the great sign given you by God that he is about to punish the world for its crimes, by means of war, famine, and persecutions of the Church and of the Holy Father”.

Yes, and that is pretty clear, and it occurred and was seen through a great deal of Europe, just prior to World War II.
Sister Lucia also confirmed that the aurora of Jan 25, 1938 was the “great sign”.

This is not “new” news.

Guessing you are very young and were not watching the news when the same scandal broke in 2001?

Following the 2001 scandal, the John Jay Report was commissioned and safe environment practices were put in place in every Diocese in the US.

http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/child-and-youth-protection/upload/The-Nature-and-Scope-of-Sexual-Abuse-of-Minors-by-Catholic-Priests-and-Deacons-in-the-United-States-1950-2002.pdf

In many parts of the world, the story of these scandals “broke” decades before 2001.

From BBC News (story linked below):

How did this all come to light?

Although some accusations date back to the 1950s, molestation by priests was first given significant media attention in the 1980s, in the US and Canada.

In the 1990s the issue began to grow, with stories emerging in Argentina, Australia and elsewhere. In 1995, the Archbishop of Vienna, Austria, stepped down amid sexual abuse allegations, rocking the Church there.

Also in that decade, revelations began of widespread historical abuse in Ireland. By the early 2000s, Church sexual abuse was a major global story.

If ever I saw an upside down comment, that’s it. “The CHURCH has been attacked”? Not the thousands of innocent victims? “By surprise”? No surprise at all–complaints were constant, but they were swept under the table.

Nothing new under the sun.

The Church has been warned. It is called the Ten Commandments. There is no need for a Marian apparition to tell us that fornication or adultery is not okay within the clergy.

Apparition of Our Lady of La Salette

"On the 18th of September (1846), the eve of the Holy Apparition of the Holy Virgin,
Mary said:
"Priests, my Son’s ministers, priests, by their evil life, by their irreverences and their impiety in celebrating the holy mysteries, love of money, love of honor and pleasures, priests have become sewers of impurity. Yes, priests call forth vengeance, and vengeance is suspended over their heads. Woe to priests, and to persons consecrated to God, who by their infidelities and their evil life are crucifying my son anew! The sins of persons consecrated to God cry to heaven and call for vengeance, and now here is vengeance at their very doors, for no longer is anyone found to beg mercy and pardon for the people; there are no more generous souls, there is now no one worthy of offering the spotless Victim to the Eternal on the worlds behalf.

The Mother of God never speaks in riddles, She has always been quite clear when trying to warn us about the evils that were unfolding in this world. People didn’t listen to Her.

Mary has been warning us for a long time that we have to pray increasingly for sinners and that potential disasters are looming: Fatima, Akita, Our Lady of Good Success, many other private or not-yet-approved revelations.
And in fact, nothing she has said contradicts or really augments what the New Testament tells us about the end days and how people’s love will grow cold.
So yes, we have been amply warned.

We never hear about Our Lady of La Salette anymore. I reckon that’s because the two witnesses went on to be rather unreliable instead of ending up as saints like St. Bernadette, St. Francisco and St. Jacinta.

Good article from our hosts: https://www.catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/la-salette-sorting-fact-from-fiction

This compromise looks like it alludes to the those priests that go against Church teaching. It seems to be mostly liberal priests. The SSPX and such are more of a minority.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.