Marian apparitions

What do normal, average Protestants think of the above?

Considering that Protestantism includes everyone from high church Anglicans (liturgical) to rabidly anti-Catholic Fundamentalists (with a large strata of Fundamentalists, as well), that is difficult to answer.

I can tell you that there are people who consider themselves “Anglo-Catholic” that have no problem with Marian apparitions, and the rabid Fundamentalist would tell you they are of the devil.

As for most mainline Protestants, they probably think it’s possible, but would be readier to ascribe them to the seer’s imagination or to hoaxes, as appears of angels or as a “Catholic thing” they don’t understand and don’t care about.

From listening to a certain, very well known, radio evangelist, the belief seems to be they are from Satan. Which would seem to make sense from the perspective of his logic. There are too many approved apparitions to believe all these otherwise good God loving people (seers) are all mentally unstable in one form or another. It would also appear illogical to believe these good, God loving people are all lying. The only two choices left are they are either true Marian apparitions, or these good people are being deceived by the devil. Which, of course is the only choice to the protestant where they do not believe in our Blessed Mother’s assumption.

The qoute I have often heard is, “whatever they are, they are not from God”.

Please take this in the spirit intended but I think that the person who started the thread wasn’t asking for the thoughts of Catholics or what Catholics think Protestants think but would like the perceptions of Protestants.

[quote=Orionthehunter]Please take this in the spirit intended but I think that the person who started the thread wasn’t asking for the thoughts of Catholics or what Catholics think Protestants think but would like the perceptions of Protestants.
[/quote]

Oh, sorry. Are there that many Protestants who read these forums?? Guess we’ll see. :slight_smile:

[quote=Orionthehunter]Please take this in the spirit intended but I think that the person who started the thread wasn’t asking for the thoughts of Catholics or what Catholics think Protestants think but would like the perceptions of Protestants.
[/quote]

Of course, many of us were Protestants and so know what they think, yes?

Besides, the OP didn’t really specify. :wink:

[quote=Della]Of course, many of us were Protestants and so know what they think, yes?

Besides, the OP didn’t really specify. :wink:
[/quote]

All the answers are appreciated. By “normal”, I meant non-extremist Protestants.

[quote=mark a]What do normal, average Protestants think of the above?
[/quote]

Hi Mark!

I personally find them quite interesting.

I see beauty in some, such as Fatima. In many ways I think it is a shame to read many of the writings by Sungenis on Fatima. I say that not to be offensive; to me, he has given the Apparition an air of sensationalism.

Some Apparitions I find to be very strange. Rwanda is one. Another is Garabandal (And yes, I do know that Garabandal does not have any approval. That being so, I am well aware that it is not recognized as anything offical.)

And there are some Apparitions that, for lack of a better term, blow me away. Zeitoun would be one of those. Conyers, Georgia would also be another. And yes, I know that Conyers does not have approval, as yet.

I personally look forward to continuing this discussion.

Free Grace!

Hi Free Grace!,

Love your board name, btw, everything is grace, isn’t it? :wink:

Before I entered the Catholic Church my favorite (and still is) Lourdes. It’s such a lovely story with little Bernadette (St. Marie Bernard) standing up to everyone, even her own pastor, in defense of her “lady.” She was strictly truthful and never invented nor tried to interpret what she saw or heard, which is a real testimony to her as a person. She is Fr. Benedict Groeschel’s favorite seer because of her honesty and courage (cf. his book: “A Still, Small Voice” about apparitions and how the Church determines which to approve). Bernadette is one of my patron saints (she chose me). And the messages of Lourdes are so simple and yet so profound. Lots there for solid meditation and spiritual growth!

I too appreciate Fatima and the young children, the messages and the miracle of the Sun. It is so unfortunate that some people can’t resist doing what Sr. Lucia herself never did–tell the world what everything has to mean and what the pope ought to do about this secret and that message. I think the story and the message speak volumes without anyone trifling with it just to make themselves sound important, don’t you?

[quote=Della]Hi Free Grace!,

Love your board name, btw, everything is grace, isn’t it? :wink:

Before I entered the Catholic Church my favorite (and still is) Lourdes. It’s such a lovely story with little Bernadette (St. Marie Bernard) standing up to everyone, even her own pastor, in defense of her “lady.” She was strictly truthful and never invented nor tried to interpret what she saw or heard, which is a real testimony to her as a person. She is Fr. Benedict Groeschel’s favorite seer because of her honesty and courage (cf. his book: “A Still, Small Voice” about apparitions and how the Church determines which to approve). Bernadette is one of my patron saints (she chose me). And the messages of Lourdes are so simple and yet so profound. Lots there for solid meditation and spiritual growth!

I too appreciate Fatima and the young children, the messages and the miracle of the Sun. It is so unfortunate that some people can’t resist doing what Sr. Lucia herself never did–tell the world what everything has to mean and what the pope ought to do about this secret and that message. I think the story and the message speak volumes without anyone trifling with it just to make themselves sound important, don’t you?
[/quote]

Hi to you as well, Della!

Thank you for mentioning Lourdes! And thank you for a little of the back story as well. This is an Apparition that I would enjoy reading more about as I do not know all the story to it. As usual, it sounds as beautiful as the Blessed Mother herself is!

A word first, before I go on. I am a Protestant. I know the above words sound strange coming from a Protestant. I have recently come to the conclusion that Protestants do not respect the earthly mother of our God and Savior as they should. If we do not take very kindly to others speaking poorly about our mothers, how much more so about those who speak poorly of the mother of our incarnate God and Savior? Do we respect her as much as we show respect for Peter, Paul, or John? She played just as much a part in the redemptive story as those.

you write:

"I think the story and the message speak volumes without anyone trifling with it just to make themselves sound important, don’t you?

Yes I agree very much with you. I would also say that Sr. Lucia would be a good model for any Christian. She was a daughter of our King who showed His grace in her actions.

As before, I look forward to continuing this discussion. I think it could be very edifing.

Free Grace!

Here is a site with an account of the Lourdes apparitions.

catholicpilgrims.com/lourdes/bd_lourdes_apparitions.htm

Hi Mark! I hope things are going well for you.

I must sadly admit that most Protestants would think these Apparitions are the work of the wicked one. That is a shame…a very terrible shame. While some alledged apparitions could be the work of demonic forces, it would be very premature to classify all apparitions as such. I do think that the investigations are very accurate and detailed. I actually have no problem accepting the true approved Apparitions as authentic. These true Appatitions point to Christ and to deeper devotion to Him. I do not see the wicked one advocating such things, as they do lead to a holier walk.

I would be very interested in reading what you guys have to say about these apparitions. That would be a blessing indeed!

Free Grace!

[quote=Axion]Here is a site with an account of the Lourdes apparitions.

catholicpilgrims.com/lourdes/bd_lourdes_apparitions.htm
[/quote]

Thank you very much for the link.

Personally, I find them very interesting…
For the most part, they seem to focus on calling for people to have a deeper spiritual life, which is scarcely what any evil force would want! On the other hand, it is my understanding that Catholics are free to believe or disbelieve in any of these, is that right?
I guess my point is that, as long as the apparitions call folks to more prayer & to live closer to God, I think they are doing something wonderful. Some, like Lourdes & Fatima, seem to me to be pretty obviously calls for a spiritual revival.
There are others, most of them (I think) unapproved, that seem to be just rather bizarre…Garabandal, what little I know about it, just seems “off”–Do you know what I mean?
Anyhow, this is indeed a very interesting topic, & I have no trouble thinking that this could indeed have been the Blessed Mother,(or it could be an angel??); in any case, very inspirational.
And the “seers” seem to be quite extraordinary people of faith. (I know St Bernadette, were the children at Fatima ever made saints?). In any case, remarkable models of Christian faith, & very courageous, as well.

[quote=Zooey]On the other hand, it is my understanding that Catholics are free to believe or disbelieve in any of these, is that right?
[/quote]

Yes - as long as the apparitions do not contain heretical errors or things that go against dogma/doctrine (I haven’t heard of one yet that does, though). Some people get obsessed with them, which isn’t what the Virgin Mary would want.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.