Marian Devotion

How does the Church explain Jesus’ comment in Luke 11:27-28 compared to Marian devotion, “As he said this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts that you sucked!” But he said, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”

I think Jesus was emphasizing that it was not because He had been in her womb that she is blessed – but rather because she is perfectly obedient to God. He is saying it is not the blessing that makes one blessed–but rather the blessed obedience that brings forth blessings.

Christ’s words and Marian devotion are only at odds if one believes that Mary did not hear the word of God and keep it. Do you believe that to be the case, that Mary did not hear the word of God, or that she did not keep it?

It is interesting to note that we already know from the Bible that “all generations will call me [Mary] blessed”, . When you put these verses together, it would seem that Mary not only bore Christ, but that she heard the word of God and kept it- apparently the first to do so in the New Testament, indeed allowing the new covenant to proceed by reversing the sin of Eve.

In other words, she was not, as some claim, simply a vessel by which the Lord came, but a woman and mother, who should be venerated and an example that should be followed.

Amen!!!

I think that Jesus saying that Blessed are those that hear the word of God is even more of an argument for Marian devotion since she gave up much to bear the Christ. Think about it…ummmm Are these the thoughts that would go through your mind if you were Mary? I am going to have a baby and Joseph will never belive that I wasn’t with another man. What will people say, I am not married… What you want me to have a baby that will be tortured and killed during my lifetime? Just the fact that she remained a virgin, how many women would be willing to sacrifice that much for our savior (besides our wonderful religious that is)? I say she is a perfect example of one who loves their Lord without reservation and is worthy of our devotion. What about when Jesus says that he can deny his mother nothing…does that not show us that Mary is special to Jesus and that she is worthy of our love, and respect and to honor her is to honor Jesus? I think Mary is the perfect rolemodel for all women, She did not seek fame (or infamy) nor did she take away from Christ’s ministry in any way, rather she was an example to us all how to live the Word. Every time I go to mass I say a prayer thanking our Blessed Mother for such a fine example she has set for me and my daughter and I pray that she help to guide me in raising my children as she would have done. Face it she raised our saviour…that would be a good mom to me.

This woman was the first feminist trying to hijack Christianity.

Can you imagine the feminine ecstasy that must have been running amuck in her heart? When face to face with the Lord she thoughtlessly interrupts His blessing of the people with her own blessing that invokes the pagan imagery of fertility and goddess worship.

Jesus set her straight, it is not our Holy Queen’s womb, that makes her Blessed it is the humble fiat to live out her God chosen vocation.

To bad the message didn’t sink in, for 2000 years now more than a few women and men keep on interrupting the Ministry of the Lord with the heresy of the divine feminine.

God Bless

[quote=Cherub]I think Jesus was emphasizing that it was not because He had been in her womb that she is blessed – but rather because she is perfectly obedient to God. He is saying it is not the blessing that makes one blessed–but rather the blessed obedience that brings forth blessings.
[/quote]

I never thought of that. Thanks for sharing this cherub :slight_smile:

[quote=michaelgazin]How does the Church explain Jesus’ comment in Luke 11:27-28 compared to Marian devotion, “As he said this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts that you sucked!” But he said, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”
[/quote]

The woman in this passage was not praising Mary here. She was saying that Mary was blessed, fortunate, to have had such a Son. So, she is praising Jesus. Jesus here says that even this praise is misdirected for she ought to be praising him because he heard and kept God’s word.

Over and over again Jesus said in his ministry that he had not come to reveal himself, but the Father. That was the main thrust of his public ministry. Jesus was telling her that his mere Incarnation was not enough. He had to do the Father’s will in all things, which was the witness of his authenticity as the Sent One of God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.