Marian Devotions

I, as a traditional Catholic, would like to know traditional devotions that worship (hyperdulia of course) Mary that are not known by very many Catholics. Obviously, the Rosary is a good prayer, but are there anyones that not many people know about?

Mary as Our Lady of Sorrows.

I don’t think many people are aware of the Sorrowful Mother.

If they are well known by the Church, it means the Holy Spirit has saw it fit that that particular devotion spread :slight_smile:

But, that aside, I agree with PandL. Here’s the chaplet of the Seven Sorrows:

thegrotto.org/rosary_of_the_seven_sorrows.htm

:thumbsup:

If you haven’t already, I HIGHLY recommend reading the book “Glories of Mary” by St. Alphonsus Liguori. You’ll find plenty of efficacious devotions and practices in there (it’s a great, great book overall).

What do you think of this that is found in the Glories of Mary found in CHAPTER 6?

At the command of Mary all obey, even God. 38
She is omnipotent, for the queen, according to all laws, enjoys the same privileges as the king; and since the son’s power also belongs to the mother, this Mother is made omnipotent by an omnipotent Son. 39
Therefore, to use the words of St. Antonine, **God has put the whole Church not only under the patronage, but even under the power and authority, of Mary. **

Is this something as a catholic you believe?

You’ve got to place it in context. Earlier, St. Alphonsus says Mary is but a speck compared to God. However, Mary’s will is always united to her Son’s. And her Son always honors His mother (as He is perfect in every way). Therefore, Mary’s prayers are always answered–just as they were when she walked the earth with her Divine Son. It was not the appointed time for Him to begin His public ministery, and yet, at her request He began it.

Was it the Lord who said with faith we could move mountains? Her faith is greater than all of ours, especially in her glorified state before the thrown of God. He who trusts completely in God and who’s will is perfectly united to the will of God will not fail in anything he desires to do–Mary is just that, more than anyone.:slight_smile:

I hope you don’t mind if I add one thing to your wonderful perspective, Genesis315:

I immediately thought of the Wedding Feast at Cana, in which, at Mary’s behest, Christ performed His First Public Miracle. What a beautiful example of God obeying Mary, I think.

I hope this adds to your powerful post.

The Total Consecration to Mary as advocated by St. Louis De Montfort in his work, “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin”. (You can link to the entire work on the www.fisheaters.com site). Part of the work is expressed below, in my sig. . .

The famous Byzatnine Akathist to the Theotokos is one of the few Eastern prayers enriched with an indulgence–plenary under the usual conditions.

While there are translations all over the 'net, mostly on Orthodox sites, this one is from a Byzantine Catholic site.

byzantines.net/liturgy/akathist.htm

The 3 Hail Marys

fatima.org/essentials/requests/3hailmaryleaf.asp

Our Lady of Good Success and there is a wonderful book that has the Way of the Cross from Mary’s view, very moving.

Could someone tell me what the three great privileges were that the Hail Marys are said in honor of? I’m sure I’m just missing it somewhere in there

From the website linked above-
“Recite, morning and evening, three Hail Marys in honor of the three great privileges…”

MLB

Try reading “The Secret of the Rosary” by St. Louis De Montfort, I’m reading it now,and it is very good. :slight_smile:

Is this something as a catholic you believe?

Hi, justasking. I had a real issue with this for a long time until I was able to listen to the August 15 podcast titled, "Biblical Theology of Mary’s Queenship. The guest was Edward Sri, and it put Mary’s queenship in a cultural context of which I was not aware. You can find it here and I hope it helps you to understand the Catholic perspective. I would like to explain it a little better, but I could never do it as well as that podcast.

When I was in school, every May we would sing marian hymns and a group of girls all wearing blue and white wedding type dresses would crown a statue of the Virgin with a crown of flowers.

Has anyone heard of this? I would be interested in hearing about this practice as I didn’t really understand its purpose when I was young. Also, is this May crowning still practiced by schools etc?

I remember the crownings each classroom had for each statue it housed. We all brought flowers from home (usually daffodils, forsythia, tulips, hydrangeas, and lilacs – it was too early in the season for roses). There was also the school/parish-wide crowning in the church close to Mother’s Day, which the Rosary or Altar society decorated with roses of all colors.

There was also a crowning in in the convent attached to the school, and for the pious family, a crowning for the statue in the home. (I don’t currently host a crowning ceremony in my home, but I do have a May altar. We do plan on having a crowning ceremony when we have children.)

Here is a link to the most concise explaination of the May crowning I have found. It covers the following questions:

Liturgical Celebrations for Mary in May
Mary Month - Why May?
What is the History of the May Devotion?
Ways to Celebrate Mary’s Month
A May Crowning Suggestion - Everyone Crowns
A Marian Coronation Celebration for Parishes
Coronation of Mary
May Hymns
What is the origin of the May Altar?

In some “traditional” churches (around here I’ve seen it’s mostly the churches that have a school attached to them which foster this devotion), and many homes, this tradition is alive and well.

Never been much of a Marian guy myself, but the history of some of these works is interesting.

I read a lot and listen to alot on this doctrine and have come to a different conclusion. Let me ask you to do something. Look up all the references to Mary in the scriptures and compare those verses and passages with the doctrines on her. Be sure to keep the context of the passages in mind when you do. See if they are saying what the catholic church is saying about her. If you have a greek lexicon of the NT that would also help in understanding words in their contexts. If you do this, i’d like to hear about your insights on this.

AMEN, AMEN!!! This is a life-changing book when read with an openness to what the Lord and His Mother can do in us.

I love this topic as it is, and wouldn’t wish to threadjack. It is about Marian Devotions, which is not necessarily Mariology.

So, I have opened another thread to reply to you in the Spirituality forum.
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=180960

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.