"Marian" dimension at WYD

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

If you watched the opening Mass for World Youth Day in Panama and heard the homily, given by the Archbishop of Panama, it may have encouraged you as it did me to hear him encourage the young persons toward devotion to Mary.

Also in an interview with Zenit, published Jan. 23 I read these words from the Archbishop:

Archbishop Ulloa: The Church in Panama is a young Church, just 506 years old. It was the first diocese on terra firma of the American Continent, under the name of Santa Maria La Antigua, in the year 1513. It’s a Church in which the laity has wide participation, not hesitating to assume more profoundly being that Church which goes forth.

It’s a Church with a profound devotion to the Virgin, but Christ-centric, because the feasts around Jesus Christ have an intensity that convokes the whole country.

Pope Francis also included Mary in his WYD address, asking:

Do we have the courage to say to the angel, as Mary did: Behold the servants of the Lord; let it be done?

May the Holy Spirit continue to inspire clergy and people of the Catholic Church to renew their devotion to Mary, given to us as Mother and Model for the Church!

6 Likes

The theme for World Youth Day 2019 is "I am the servant of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word” (Lk. 1:38).

https://wyd.xt3.com/about/wyd2019-theme/

6 Likes

Dear Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I’m reminded of threads I’ve posted on St. Louis de Montfort’s treatise: “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin”. I wondered if you ever got around to reading that little treasure of a book. :slight_smile:

The words from the Archbishop of Panama, and the words of the Pope which I posted yesterday, encouraged me, but personally, I believe too many Catholics have drifted far from our roots when it comes to the words of Jesus from His Cross on Calvary:

“Behold your Mother”

Some priests and people give “lip service” to our Mother and only a few (it seems to me) speak of her or love her with the tenderness of God’s Love. Youth are not served well, when they are not instructed well in all that Jesus said and did that they may follow Him as Mary did. I wonder how many have been taught or given example on how to ponder in their hearts all Jesus said and did.

Some places and parishes are blessed with clergy and catechists who are really imbued with the Gospel, and I thank God for His Work in His Church. I continue to pray as today’s Gospel records:

The Lord Jesus appointed seventy-two other disciples
whom he sent ahead of him in pairs
to every town and place he intended to visit.
He said to them,
"The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few;
so ask the master of the harvest
to send out laborers for his harvest.
Go on your way;
behold, I am sending you like lambs among wolves…(from Lk 10:1-9)

Mary, Mother and Model for the Church, pray for us. Jesus we trust in You! Come Holy Spirit fill the hearts of Your Faithful. Kindle in us the Fire of Your Love.

2 Likes

I have it @MariaChristi , but I haven’t read it yet . :smile:

1 Like

Dear Rob,

Great news - having it is a good start! I may have told you that Servant of God Frank Duff, Founder of the Legion of Mary, read De Montfort’s treatise on “True Devotion” to the Blessed Virgin at least 5 or 6 times before receiving the grace to “see” by faith it is “True”. He also admitted that the “trouble” was not with De Montfort but rather it was with himself for he did not have enough background knowledge of Mary to be able to understand the Saint. Ah yes, the foundation of holiness is humility!

When you do begin to read it — I trust you will read it prayerfully and slowly --listening for God’s Truth, as St. Louis de Montfort himself listened and learned from the Holy Spirit. Thanks again for letting me know you haven’t forgotten. :slight_smile:

If you or others who may be reading this thread have not read the article written by Frank Duff on his experience reading De Montfort’s True Devotion, his thoughts can be read at this link: Frank Duff’s ARTICLE The previous Link was incorrect – I was in too much of a hurry – hopefully lesson learned! So sorry. My apologies to Rob and gratitude for pointing me to the error.

1 Like

I can’t find anything from your link about Frank Duff , but I have found this - - - - - - -

1 Like

Dear Rob,

I’m so sorry - I gave you the link to “True Devotion” instead of the article written by Frank Duff. Let me try again: see HERE

My fault (mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa) for not checking the link before sending it! Hopefully it will help me to grow in humility !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.