Marianne Williamson Said Antidepressants Are Overprescribed For “Normal Human

I was thinking that Mary Todd Lincoln never recovered from here grief, and had to live out here life in an asylum. Grief can also be a trigger that changes one in a way that time alone cannot heal. But it may be that Marianne Williamson knows no more about history than medicine.

1 Like

Psychiatrists are basically medical doctors who also have extensive training in psychology. Both psychologists and psychiatrists can diagnose mental illnesses. The big difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist is that a psychiatrist can also prescribe medication whereas a psychologist can’t. Psychiatrists can do talk therapy just like a psychologist, but in practice, they tend to leave that kind of work to psychologists and have largely become medication managers for patients with mental health issues.

1 Like

Where I am, Psychiatrists must do a medical degree first. Psychologists take a much different path and do not become qualified medical doctors, although they do get a PhD in psychology.

Of all people to come around to that sort of view Brand is one I would never have predicted. Glad to see it as it is certainly a more mature outlook that his earlier years.

1 Like

My wfe’s Church deals with by having set services for periods after the death of a close family member or loved on and the idea of memorial services and meals to be held. These are all obviously meant to help those left behind deal with the process of grieving. Catholicism has of course similar in-built systems as do other faiths like Judaism. Judaism actually recognizes that grief past a certain point can become unhealthy and mutate into anger and self-pity and recommends a maximum of a year for the closest of family members in mourning and warns about it becoming self-indulgent and blinding you to life after that point.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen of her career she seems to think she’s a New Age oracle, so no need.

Actually, they don’t have a good command of the subject, because no one has a really good understanding of how our brains work. If you go to the website for the Mayo Clinic and look up “Depression (major depressive disorder)” for example, it lists the possible symptoms of depression:

• Feelings of sadness, tearfulness, emptiness or hopelessness
  • Angry outbursts, irritability or frustration, even over small matters

etc., etc.

But in the section on what causes depression, it says:

It’s not known exactly what causes depression. As with many mental disorders, a variety of factors may be involved, such as:

• Biological differences. People with depression appear to have physical changes in their brains. The significance of these changes is still uncertain, but may eventually help pinpoint causes.
  • Brain chemistry. Neurotransmitters are naturally occurring brain chemicals that likely play a role in depression. Recent research indicates that changes in the function and effect of these neurotransmitters and how they interact with neurocircuits involved in maintaining mood stability may play a significant role in depression and its treatment.
  • Hormones. Changes in the body’s balance of hormones may be involved in causing or triggering depression. Hormone changes can result with pregnancy and during the weeks or months after delivery (postpartum) and from thyroid problems, menopause or a number of other conditions.
  • Inherited traits. Depression is more common in people whose blood relatives also have this condition. Researchers are trying to find genes that may be involved in causing depression.

As you can see, it says that “it’s not known exactly what causes depression…a variety of factors may be involved” and in the section below, they say things like, “People with depression appear to have physical changes” or “Neurotransmitters…likely play a role in depression” or “hormones may be involved in causing or triggering depression”.

If you go to their page on “Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD),” it says the following about the causes of OCD:

The cause of obsessive-compulsive disorder isn’t fully understood. Main theories include:

I have never thought much of the DSM, and I have known psychiatrists, psychologists and neuropsychs who don’t either. But there are psychiatrists for whom I have considerable respect. I will add that not infrequently different treatments are tried until something works well. One of the difficulties with it, of course, is the fact that the patient often has to unlearn inappropriate methods of coping he/she has developed over a significant period of time. But that’s the psychologists’ job. One of my daughters is a psych-certified NP who works with psychiatrists and psychologists. Pharmacological aspects of mental illness is her area of concentration. It’s actually very interesting because the understanding of drug action and interaction has to be extremely skilled to be effective. Oftentimes successful treatment does require unusual combinations or even “off label” use of drugs. It really is amazing how successful that can be. But they always utilize the psychologists as well because of the inappropriate conduct and thinking patterns the mentally ill develop over time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.