Marijuana type Job

Of couse not. But these are questions of morality, not legality. Legality is no factor, since it’s legal.
So then we’re talking really about ethics and morals, not legalities.

I’m sure most of us understand the moral and ethical black holes concerning abortion.

Where though lies the moral and ethical black hole concerning smoking a joint in ones free time compared to tossing back a couple of brews?

Becomes a lot tougher to define when you stop trying to compare smoking a joint with murdering babies.

Oh they are official. Very official.

Kindly link me to the Motu Proprio or Apostolic Constitution or De Fide statement on cannabis.

From your article:

“Francis has frequently railed against the “evil” of drug addiction and has met with addicts on several occasions” And the Church speaks clearly of moderation in all things, food, speed, alcohol, etc. No one questions that addiction is an illness that harms people.

Your very very brief 2 paragraph article does not contain authoritative, doctrinal language.

On the contrary, the Pope, as the head of Christ’s Church on earth, is not speaking to himself. He is providing appropriate guidance in a world that sometimes asks for the wrong things or wants to do the wrong thing. His opposition should be taken seriously by all Catholics and men of good will.

Recreational use of marijuana is evil, as defined by Church teaching. Are you asking why it is evil? I’m not sure I understand the question.

Just waiting on a link to that section in the Catechism or other authoritative document.

From the Catechism:

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

Or course, the obvious question becomes what is included in the term ‘drugs’. Heroin, certainly. Weed? Booze? Cough syrup?

Reading this paragraph in context, I fail to see where marijuana is named as intrinsically evil.

Respect for health

[2288] Life and physical health are precious gifts entrusted to us by God. We must take reasonable care of them, taking into account the needs of others and the common good.

Concern for the health of its citizens requires that society help in the attainment of living-conditions that allow them to grow and reach maturity: food and clothing, housing, health care, basic education, employment, and social assistance.

[2289] If morality requires respect for the life of the body, it does not make it an absolute value. It rejects a neo-pagan notion that tends to promote the cult of the body , to sacrifice everything for its sake, to idolize physical perfection and success at sports. By its selective preference of the strong over the weak, such a conception can lead to the perversion of human relationships.

[2290] The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess : the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

“strictly therapeutic grounds” That’s all you need to know. Adding another way to get high to the current list is just inviting unneeded problems.

As a couple of glasses of wine can be used on therapeutic grounds for anxiety or stress, how is that different than legalized cannabis?

So is it a sin to drink in moderation? Alcohol has no therapeutic value, and the church has clearly indicated that consumption of alcohol is not per se wrong unless it’s done to excess. Is alcohol not a “drug” by any reasonable definition?

You can keep posting this conclusory statements and declaring things settled by fiat, but sooner or later you’re either going to have to endorse the criminalization of wine coolers or acknowledge that you have no consistent principle here.

Alcohol has some therapeutic value in some circumstance. Both as an antiseptic as well as for pain relief.

Administering whiskey before performing an amputation was standard operating procedure before other products were invented.

Some people don’t want to admit that adding marijuana to the list of things we can get high with is not a good thing. It’s not.

That is true. See a doctor for anxiety issues. I was at a support group meeting and spoke to one lady who tried to use alcohol to ease her anxiety. She realized a few things. Using alcohol would create two problems: 1) Excess alcohol use and 2) being without a proper diagnosis for her anxiety, she was not helping herself. She saw a doctor and got the help she needed.

My cousin had a job at Barnes and Noble and quit over their promotion of Harry Potter.

1. Don’t tell me what I have to do. I’m not gonna have to provide sources. You can look it up. And, sure enough, plenty of other people in this thread have made it abundantly clear that the Catholic Church is against recreational use of marijuana entirely.

2. Why do I think so? Because that’s what the Church says.

Edit: Ask a priest. See what they have to say!

Here’s 5 links from the first page of google search results for “Catholic Church Marijuana”.
Note: I haven’t read any of them, or watched the video, yet I have 100% confidence that they agree with me.

https://lifeteen.com/blog/marijuana-is-it-wrong-to-light-up/

Not a one of these is Official Church Teaching. They are all opinion pieces.

The position of the Canadian Bishops isn’t an opinion piece. Ask your local priest, see what he has to say on the matter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.