Marijuana type Job

Opinions don’t matter. Facts do. Marijuana is a health hazard.

https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/health-effects.html

Some people ask what’s worse about pot over alcohol? I used to imbibe in both and the only reasons I have are that other people can inhale the pot that somebody else has been smoking, and, pot really caused bad panic attacks and messed me up much worse than alcohol did.

Not to mention the last one at least indicates that there is disagreement and it remains an open question.

Yes, it is the opinions of the Canadian Bishops.

Did I miss a line where they declared such as De Fide?

I’ve had more hours of talks with more priests on this topic than I can count :slight_smile:

Can you please reconcile this with your acceptance of alcohol and cigarettes as legal?

You keep just saying “health hazard, case closed” and then going silent when people ask you how you reconcile this with other things that are also health hazards.

You might find the extensive research at Hebrew University to be of interest:

https://cannabinoids.huji.ac.il/

Speaking to no one in particular – Stop the promotion of marijuana as if it is a good thing. It’s not. I encourage everyone to not add it to the list of things people get high on. It’s not worth it.

The Catechism has already been quoted here extensively. And, Pope Francis himself makes clear that when the Catechism mentions “drugs”, in the eyes of the Church there is no distinction between “hard” and “soft” drugs. And “recreational” and whatever the opposite of recreational is. I mean… isn’t heroin recreational? For what other purpose is it used?

“Let me state this in the clearest terms possible: The problem of drug use is not solved with drugs. Drug addiction is an evil, and with evil there can be no yielding or compromise. To think that harm can be reduced by permitting drug addicts to use narcotics in no way resolves the problem. Attempts, however limited, to legalize so-called ‘recreational drugs,’ are not only highly questionable from a legislative standpoint, but they fail to produce the desired effects. Substitute drugs are not an adequate therapy but rather a veiled means of surrendering to the phenomenon. Here I would reaffirm what I have stated on another occasion: No to every type of drug use. It is as simple as that. No to any kind of drug use.” – Pope Francis. Address to 31st International Drug Enforcement Conference in Rome, June 19, 2014

No to every type of drug use. It is as simple as that.

http://www.catholicnews.com/services/englishnews/2016/quotes-from-pope-francis-on-drugs.cfm

What about my Celebrex? My friend’s insulin?

You might want to read some of these publications (I linked only two of the 8 published journal articles from 2018 https://cannabinoids.huji.ac.il/news/publications):

The issue is so-called recreational marijuana. Investors are hungry for profits and the health hazards of using it are on the back burner.

I am not referring to legitimate medical use.

No splitting hairs please. Even medical marijuana use needs supervision. Because of the FDA looking the other way, no safe dosage standards officially exist. And each patient is different.

I don’t think anyone is saying it is. They just want to know what proof you have that using marijuana is a sin.

It’s amazing how unwilling you are to follow your own logic to its natural conclusion. I wish you’d just have the honesty to say, “yes, alcohol should be illegal.”

Or cigarettes for that matter. Its was known long before the Surgeon General came out in 1964 that cigarettes are not good for you, they were called “coffin nails” as early as the 1880’s.

Like many medis, such as Warfarin is for heart patients. There is no standard dose. Each individual may change over the course of days.

Too bad…considering the many strong Christian messages in that series.

“non-binding” means it’s OK? The Pope talks like this for no particular reason? I don’t think so. Fair warning: this will not turn out well.

I would offer the idea that you should step back and look at truth for yourself. Organizations always shun substances and practices that expand thinking, but they sure have no problem with substances that dumb people down, like alcohol. Free thinking is never going to be welcomed by institutions that rely on control and constraint because you might come up with your own conclusions. Get the job and find out for yourself.

All the best!

twf . . . .

If “right-leaning” Catholics can disregard the Pope on those issues, even when he solemnly promulgates encyclicals, orders the Catechism to be revised, etc., then surely “left-leaning” Catholics can ignore his personal opinion on the legalization of marijuana :P.

I’m not sure what you mean here twf.

Who are those “right leaning Catholics” and what teachings are they “ignoring”?

And if they ARE “ignoring” whatever, is THAT a good reason for “left-leaning” Catholics to pick and choose doctrines that they can reject too?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.