Marital Sex

Are married Catholics supposed to remain chaste unless trying to procreate? We just had a baby 3 months ago and my wife is not having her period. Are we supposed to wait until she has a period to implement NFP?

My understanding is that as long as you are open to life, no artificial barriers, and respect the dignity of each other, no coercion, and faithful, only you and your wife, then you are free to enjoy the pleasures God has created.

Dennis

[quote="bgic, post:1, topic:205881"]
Are married Catholics supposed to remain chaste unless trying to procreate? We just had a baby 3 months ago and my wife is not having her period. Are we supposed to wait until she has a period to implement NFP?

[/quote]

Seriously?

www.nfpandmore.org

And go read up on LAM.

There are special rules to NFP after you’ve had a baby that she may want to look into. Just because she hasn’t had a period doesn’t mean she isn’t fertile, so don’t be fooled.

[quote="bgic, post:1, topic:205881"]

[/quote]

Married couples can have or not have relations anytime they want to--we are always called to chastity, but may be called to abstain. If you need, for just/serious/grave reasons, to space another pregnancy, you would need to know how to watch for fertility postpartem--an NFP class would be a good idea. If your wife is ecologically breastfeeding (very specific 7 standards nfpandmore.org/wordpress/?cat=5) this may afford a long stretch of lactation amenorrhea or not. This can vary from woman to woman and from postpartem experience to the next. If she is only exclusivly breastfeeding (allows pacifiers, baby sleeps throught the night, etc) then she should start charting now if a pregnancy needs to be avoided.

Or, if both of you feel called to it, you could abstain until her cycles resume and then decide if you have a serious/just/grave reason for more spacing and use NFP.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.