Mark 1:8 -- water baptism vs spirit baptism

Mark 1:8
"I have baptized you with water;
he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

We as Catholics do water baptism. Shouldn’t we be doing Holy Spirit baptisms instead?

Thanks for any explanation.

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Haydock’s Catholic Bible Commentary has this entry for this verse:

I have baptized you with water, but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost. Now it is evident that none but God can bestow upon man the grace of the Holy Ghost. (Ven. Bede).

What St. Mark meant to convey here is not that water baptism is useless but rather than John the Baptist’s baptism was a sign for a greater one that only God could bestow. JtB could not forgive sins with his baptism (which was a precursor to Christ’s institution of baptism). The baptism instituted by Christ would be effective for the forgiveness of sins because the divine grace of God would do what it signified through Christ’s redemptive life, death and resurrection.

When we are baptized (with water) we are being baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Jesus also (through his disciples) baptized even while John was still alive. But when Jesus baptized, you got to be in his presence, whereas with John’s baptism you were still waiting for Christ to come and be revealed to you.

In the book of Acts, there were some preachers who did not know yet that Jesus had come. They had been baptized by John and were baptizing others in John’s baptism. When discovered by the apostles, they asked if they knew about Jesus and his baptism, then taught them about Jesus and baptized them with the baptism from Jesus.

You were marked by the Holy Spirit and granted Grace by his presence in you (Faith, Hope, Charity) when you were baptized. Yes, water is used now, but now it is a sacrament granting new birth by the Holy Spirit, where before (with John) it was to give a preparation so that when Jesus did come, people would accept his baptism, since they knew what John’s baptism was. That is why the Ethiopian eunuch asked Philip to baptize him when they came upon some water along the road. Water is still used but the Holy Spirit is granted in the use of the water in God’s triune name.

We do do Holy Spirit baptisms!

Johns baptism was literally a dunk in the river…purely symbolic like Protestants believe today. Back then people bathed very rarely and so it was a very strong symbol of going in filthy and coming out clean ready to live a clean life.

When Jesus was baptized (in water by the way) the Holy Spirit decended on him. Then in the New Testament after Pentecost we see the Holy Spirit taking transformative action through water baptism.

So like Jesus told Nicodemas, we are born again of water AND spirit.

Water baptism is in the Bible.

And as they went along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, “See, here is water! What is to prevent my being baptized?” And he commanded the chariot to stop, and they both went down into the water, Philip and the eunuch, and he baptized him. (Acts of the Apostles 8:36-38)

-Tim-

Can you elaborate how the Holy Spirit took transformative action through water baptism? Thanks.

Baptism leaves an interview baseline Mark on the soul. It seals us and brings forth the gifts of the Holy Spirit. It replaces old testament circumcision. This is what the church teaches but obviously the mechanics of it are a matter of faith.

We are baptized with the HS: that’s the chief aspect of the New Covenant!

[BIBLEDRB][/BIBLEDRB]

This is from the Catechism:

**1265 Baptism not only purifies from all sins, but also makes the neophyte “a new creature,” an adopted son of God, who has become a "partaker of the divine nature, "member of Christ and co-heir with him, and a temple of the Holy Spirit.

1266 The Most Holy Trinity gives the baptized sanctifying grace, the grace of justification:

• enabling them to believe in God, to hope in him, and to love him through the theological virtues;
  • giving them the power to live and act under the prompting of the Holy Spirit through the gifts of the Holy Spirit;
  • allowing them to grow in goodness through the moral virtues.
    Thus the whole organism of the Christian’s supernatural life has its roots in Baptism.

Wow, I totally autocorrect failed on this one!!! Should have said,

"Baptism leaves an indellible mark on the soul. It seals us and brings forth the gifts of the Holy Spirit. It replaces old testament circumcision. This is what the church teaches but obviously the mechanics of it are a matter of faith.

Yeah, I figured autocorrect got a hold of it! No problem, I understood what you meant. I guess I didn’t word my question right. You stated in an earlier post ‘Then in the New Testament after Pentecost we see the Holy Spirit taking transformative action through water baptism.’ Can you direct me to where I might find this in the NT? Thanks!

Also, is there a Catechism reference to where baptism replaces circumcision? Thanks again!

SJ

*And as they went along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, "See, here is water! What is to prevent my being baptized?" And he commanded the chariot to stop, and they both went down into the water, Philip and the eunuch, and he baptized him. (Acts of the Apostles 8:36-38)

And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’ (Acts 22:16)

And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God. (1 Corinthians 6:11)

that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, (Ephesians 5:26)

he saved us, not because of deeds done by us in righteousness, but in virtue of his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal in the Holy Spirit, (Titus 3:5)

let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. (Hebrews 10:22)*

-Tim-

Acts 2:38 ESV

And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 3:16 ESV

And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him;

Acts 8:15-17 ESV

Who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, for he had not yet fallen on any of them, but they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then they laid their hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit.

Circumcision:

In Him [Jesus] you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead (Colossians 2:11-12).

CCC 527 Jesus’ circumcision, on the eighth day after his birth, is the sign of his incorporation into Abraham’s descendants, into the people of the covenant. It is the sign of his submission to the Law and his deputation to Israel’s worship, in which he will participate throughout his life. This sign prefigures that “circumcision of Christ” which is Baptism.

Jesus Himself cleared this up in John 3:5
5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."

You might want to take a second look at this verse:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=931098

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.