Mark 16:9

Does anyone know of a quote from a published author who has used Mark 16:9 to support a first day of the week resurrection which in turn they used - at least in part - to justify the establishment of the first day of the week as a special day for rest and worship?

Although he does not make explicit reference to Mark 16:9, a Christian author, writing about A.D. 80, in his , Chapter XVEpistle of Barnabas, indicates that Christians keep the eighth day, because Jesus rose from the dead on that day.

Again, although he does not make explicit reference to Mark 16:9, St. Justin Martyr, writing about A.D. 155, in his , Chapter LXVIIFirst Apology, indicates that Christians worship on Sunday, the first day, because Jesus rose from the dead on that day.

Todd Easton,

Thanks for the comments, but I really need the Mark 16:9 reference. A poster on another forum, the topic of which was questioning the authenticity of the last 12 verses in the book of Mark, wrote that it doesn’t really matter because there is no doctrinal teaching in Mark 16:9-20 that cannot be proved elsewhere in agreed Scripture.

I made the mistake of sticking my nose into the discussion by pointing out that actually there is a doctrinal teaching that uses verse 9 - in those translations that place the comma after week - to support a Sunday resurrection that is to be found nowhere else in Scripture. As these translations have it, it is the only place that puts the resurrection on the first day of the week. I then suggested that whenever the discussion of seventh day observance versus first day observance comes up, first day proponents usually use the idea of a first day resurrection to justify the change, and when questioned about the day of resurrection, quote Mark 16:9. The poster came back with: “Quote a published author who has done that.” - I have not yet been able to come up with one, hence my query here on beliefnet.

Surely someone must know of an author.

Sometimes when you stick your neck out, there’s an axe waiting. If you don’t know of any sources, do the decent thing and admit it.

Mirdath,

re: “If you don’t know of any sources, do the decent thing and admit it.”

I did at the end of my post #3.

I meant in the discussion you were trying to get your homework done for.

By the way, I can’t find any either.

New American Bible
Mark: CHAP. 16. VER. 9
( 2 When he had risen, early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had driven seven demons.

1. 2 [9-20] This passage, termed the Longer Ending to the Marcan gospel by comparison with a much briefer conclusion found in some less important manuscripts, has traditionally been accepted as a canonical part of the gospel and was defined as such by the Council of Trent. Early citations of it by the Fathers indicate that it was composed by the second century, although vocabulary and style indicate that it was written by someone other than Mark. It is a general resume of the material concerning the appearances of the risen Jesus, reflecting, in particular, traditions found in Luke 24 and John 20. The Shorter Ending: Found after ⇒ Mark 16:8 before the Longer Ending in four seventh-to-ninth-century Greek manuscripts as well as in one Old Latin version, where it appears alone without the Longer Ending. The Freer Logion: Found after v 14 in a fourth-fifth century manuscript preserved in the Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, this ending was known to Jerome in the fourth century. It reads: "And they excused themselves, saying, "This age of lawlessness and unbelief is under Satan, who does not allow the truth and power of God to prevail over the unclean things dominated by the spirits [or, does not allow the unclean things dominated by the spirits to grasp the truth and power of God]. Therefore reveal your righteousness now.’ They spoke to Christ. And Christ responded to them, "The limit of the years of Satan’s power is completed, but other terrible things draw near. And for those who sinned I was handed over to death, that they might return to the truth and no longer sin, in order that they might inherit the spiritual and incorruptible heavenly glory of righteousness. But . . . .’ "

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PWI.HTM#$3H5
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PWI.HTM#$3H5

Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in will know of an author.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.