Mark 3:29

Mark 3:29 reads: “But whoever blasphemes against the holy Spirit 11 will never have forgiveness, but is guilty of an everlasting sin.”

Years ago, and up until very recently (earlier this year, as a matter of fact), I was somewhat (and at times, completely) convinced that the Catholic Church was of the devil. This belief mostly came from reading the “Left Behind” series, and “The Da Vinci Code.”

However, I now know that that is not the truth. What does the Catholic Church say about a situation such as that? Can I ever be forgiven? Does that mean I’m going to hell?

God is forgiving. My understanding of blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the deliberate refusing to be forgiven.

If someone does not want forgiveness they have turned their back on God’s grace and mercy.

Your question tells me that you want to embrace God’s grace and mercy. God’s mercy is waiting for you just like the father in the story of the Prodigal Son.

Embrace His love. And welcome home.

Thank you for the swift reply. That makes me feel a lot better.

God bless you!

St. Claude de la Colombiere

Lord, I am in this world to show Your mercy to others.
Other people will glorify You
by making visible the power of Your grace
by their fidelity and constancy to You.
For my part I will glorify You
by making known how good You are to sinners,
that Your mercy is boundless
and that no sinner no matter how great his offences
should have reason to despair of pardon.
If I have grievously offended You, My Redeemer,
let me not offend You even more
by thinking that You are not kind enough to pardon Me.

Amen.

Peace

You remind me of St. Paul. He came to see the light. He’s a SAINT… God loves you!

From the Haydock Commentary on verse 29:

“Ver. 29. See St. Matthew xii. 32. — Of an everlasting sin; i.e. of eternal punishment. (Witham) — What is here called everlasting offence, is (as St. Matthew expresseth it) that which shall neither be remitted in this life, nor in the life to come; which words would not be true, says St. Augustine, if some sins were not forgiven in the world to come. Now, as no mortal sin can be forgiven after death, there must necessarily be smaller transgressions, which we call venial; though many of our separated brethren will needs have all sins to be mortal; which is very far from a comfortable tenet.”

The Catholic Church holds that those who die with “final impenitence” - refusal to repent, will suffer the everlasting penalty for their everlasting sin. Repentance and reconciliation with God via the Sacrament of Penance is the key to avoiding this.

Even while Judas hung on that tree - up until his last gasp - he may have repented from his sins: and THAT is why the Church has NEVER declared that he IS in Hell; it is also why the Church will bury the greatest current criminals from the Catholic Church … ALL who profess to be Catholic and express the desire for Catholic burial are entitled to it on the presumption of final repentence. The Catholic Church is, indeed, a Hospital for sinners.

Catholic Tradition identifies the sins against the Spirit in Mark as

1. Despair
  2. Presumption
  3. Impugning the Truth
  4. Envy at another’s spiritual gain
  5. Obstinacy in sin
  6. Final Impenitence

All of which lead one to NOT seek/ accept the forgiveness won for us by Christ on Calvary. ANY sin for which we are sorry, for which we confess, for which we seek the forgiveness of God can be forgiven. Dante Alighieri shows this beautifully in* Purgatorio*, from the Divine Comedy, there we meet the shade of a notorious sinner who is saved from Hell by repenting as he dies by uttering the name of Mary:

[quote=Dante]'There, at the place where that stream’s name is lost, I came—my throat was pierced—fleeing on foot and bloodying the plain; and there it was that I lost sight and speech; and there, as I had finished uttering the name of Mary, I fell; and there my flesh alone remained. I’ll speak the truth—do you, among the living, retell it: I was taken by God’s angel, but he from Hell cried: ‘You from Heaven—why do you deny me him? For just one tear you carry off his deathless part; but I shall treat his other part in other wise.’
[/quote]

From the Heart of Jesus, the Lamb immolated on the cross, forgiveness and life flow forth for all…
But Jesus’ mercy is not only a sentiment; it is a force that gives life-that revives man!

Pope Francis

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.