Mark 3:7-12

I have asked some here why Satan said after Jesus was crucified if they would’ve known who he was they would not have had him crucified. Yet in today’s liturgy of the word. Unclean spirits declared he was the son of God. Then they did know who he was right?

Where is it recorded that satan said this?

Peace
James

I don’t know exactly but after Jesus’ crucifixion they said if they knew that Jesus was the lord of glory they would never have crucified him. Something like that.

Ok I have something. Look here particularly at verse 8.

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+2&version=DRA

:shrug:

I also looked at KJV and NIV. Now the NIV looks like it could be talking about “princes of this age” possibly the human rulers…:shrug:

This is correct - the passage speaks of people, not satan.

Peace
James

So Satan was aware of Jesus’ being God. The hypostatic union. And did not care?

Satan did not know who Jesus was for sure. Hence the temptation.

And Jesus purportedly said “Thou shall not tempt the Lord thy God.”

Satan knew exactly who Jesus was.

Satan fell, not because he refused to worship God but because he refused to worship God who was also a man. When that God took on human flesh, Satan knew exactly who he was.

We see this clearly in how Satan tempted Jesus.

*And the tempter came and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread." (Matthew 4:3)

and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down; for it is written, He will give his angels charge of you,' andOn their hands they will bear you up, (Matthew 4:6)*

Twice Satan attacks Jesus’ divine filiation with the Father. Satan tries to get Jesus to doubt his identity. Later, on the night of the passion, Satan entered Judas.

*Then Satan entered into Judas called Iscariot, who was of the number of the twelve; he went away and conferred with the chief priests and officers how he might betray him to them. (Matthew 22:3)

Satan enters Judas to attack Jesus because Satan knows exactly who he is. Satan did not know God’s plan but he knew who Jesus was and was trying to stop him from becoming a king.

-Tim-

The word “If” is what makes me think he only suspected. He knew the Scripture but still made sure He was crucified. Jmho."

Maybe, but then he’s the guy who “was the most subtle of all the wild animals that Yahweh God had made. It asked the woman, ‘Did God really say you were not to eat from any of the trees in the garden?’” He works on doubt, creating a split between man and God.

Mark 1:

21They went into Capernaum; and immediately on the Sabbath He entered the synagogue and began to teach. 22They were amazed at His teaching; for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as the scribes. 23Just then there was a man in their synagogue with an unclean spirit; and he cried out, 24saying, “What business do we have with each other, Jesus of Nazareth? Have You come to destroy us? **I know who You are—the Holy One of God!” **…
32When evening came, after the sun had set, they began bringing to Him all who were ill and those who were demon-possessed. 33And the whole city had gathered at the door. 34And He healed many who were ill with various diseases, and cast out many demons; and He was not permitting the demons to speak, because they knew who He was.

The demons know who Jesus is.
Knowledge might be the most dangerous thing there is for the welfare of the soul.

17but from the tree of **the knowledge of **good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.”

I stand corrected.

I think what Satan did not know, was that Jesus would be able to accomplish His sacrifice for men. It was as though his best option was to make it as horrible as possible for Jesus, in order to deter Him from redeeming us. So He was even tormented and tempted to the last minute to save Himself and come down from the cross. This was Satans effort…not to actually provide Him the way. Just as Jesus rebuked Peter when Satan tried to deter Him from His passion.

Michael

Also, this passage speaks to the wisdom of those that love him , not mere knowledge.

5 That your faith might not stand on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among the perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, neither of the princes of this world that come to nought;

7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, a wisdom which is hidden, which God ordained before the world, unto our glory:

8 Which none of the princes of this world knew; for if they had known it, they would never have crucified the Lord of glory.

9 But, as it is written: That eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither hath it entered into the heart of man, what things God hath prepared for them that love him.

Simply,

It’s a conditional: “if you are who you say you are, then do this”… in much the same way that we were dared as children: “I dare you to do this, if you’re not chicken…”!

Yes I admit my error. I read the book “To Know Christ Jesus” by F.Sheed and I guess I misunderstood chapter 11 pt. 7. If the demons knew his identity, it stands to reason the devil would also. Again I apologize.

No problems… and no need to apologize! It’s an easy enough misunderstanding to have reached!

There is another meaning concerning the serpent known around David’s day. This is just FYI. The serpent is also linked with “Leviathan” or the sons of Esau. Whose head will be crushed. That’s about the extent to my knowledge. I have to look as a scholar at things in different ways. As a catholic I have to keep in mind what we believe.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.