Mark 7:13 used against Catholics

I was enjoying the “Journey Home” EWTN Program, who had as a guest a convert, I believe a minister from the Church of Christ. In the comments, somebody used Mark 7:13 against the Church. I looked at it, in the King James Bible for reference to get it in context(I use Douay-Rheims or RSVCE normally) and it seemed to refute the claim regarding the traditions of man, as the Church is Sacred Tradition, but I would like some more reinforcement to understand this claim.

I believe they are talking about the traditions of men and not the traditions that were passed on by the Holy Spirit to the apostles to us.

Thanks!

I really enjoy The Journey Home also. Many Protestants, including the Church of Christ, subscribe to the notion of Sola Scriptural, which means that scripture alone is authoritative in matters relating to faith and morals. You said “the Church is Sacred Tradition” which is not quite accurate.

As in many things, the Church takes a “both and” approach on scripture and tradition. We believe in Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition, and the magisterium of the Church as the three-legged stool of authority in matters of faith and morals. We also believe that all three fit together and there is no contradiction between one aspect and another. In other words, Sacred Scripture, read in context, does not contradict Sacred Tradition, and vice versa.

In reference to Mark 7:13, it’s useful to look at it in context

You disregard God’s commandment but cling to human tradition.”
He went on to say, “How well you have set aside the commandment of God in order to uphold your tradition!
For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and ‘Whoever curses father or mother shall die.’c
Yet you say, ‘If a person says to father or mother, “Any support you might have had from me is qorban”’* (meaning, dedicated to God),
you allow him to do nothing more for his father or mother.
You nullify the word of God in favor of your tradition that you have handed on. And you do many such things.”

So Jesus was condemning the Pharisees because their tradition (not supporting their father and mother by saying qorban) was in contradiction to the 4th Commandment. So he’s not condemning the idea of tradition, but the fact that this tradition (and others they practiced) was contrary to the Word of God.

In fact, St. Paul tells the Thessalonians

Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours.
2 Thessalonians 2:15

So traditions in and of themselves are not the problem. Protestant churches have their own traditions, like electing elders, Lord’s supper of grape juice and crackers once a year, or whatever. The difference is, our traditions are based on what Jesus taught, like the Eucharist or venerating his Holy Mother.

:thumbsup:

What a strange world we would be living in if all tradition was bad. That belief itself would contradict itself. For if you had the tradition that al tradition is bad you would yourself be doing something bad.

To clarify, I sorta… Forgot about adding Scripture? I had just woken up, if that’s an excuse. Silly me:rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

I like watching ‘A Journey Home’. You get the thoughts and life experiences of so many people.

Helped me to start practicing for sure.[SIGN]:smiley: A Journey Home :D[/SIGN]

Some folks are taught their faith is free from labels, church, and religion, and therefore free from the corruptions of man (traditions). A relationship with Jesus is viewed as contradictory to church. The use of the word tradition seems to morph as necessary. This viewpoint is maintained even when a person listens to a sermon on the scripture, uses other literature to support a particular position, participates in an altar call, adopts sola scriptura or sola fide, etc.

The authority is viewed as coming directly from the bible and the related doctrine is viewed as a direct word from the Holy Spirit to the individual (aka no need for church or pope). There is no distinction between scripture and personal interpretation of scripture (of which there are many).

These articles of mine may help you with this.
Tradition? No way!
Infallibility & How The Apostles Taught the Study of Sacred Tradition.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.