mark of the beast

anyone know what it is?

Yep

Nope.

But here’s the verse where we first read of it:

Revelation 13:16-17

*16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.*

In Revelation 7:3 God says He will put a mark on the foreheads of all the believers.

OK, so this could be a literal mark – like a tattoo. But probably not.

Personally – and be clear that I am not a bible scholar, just someone who reads His word – I see in this a reference to Deuteronomy, where God tells the Israelites to bind His commandments on their hands and foreheads.

Consider the following references:

Exodus 13:8-9

8 And on that day you will explain to your son, ‘This is because of what the LORD did for me when I came out of Egypt.’
9 It will be like a sign on your hand and a reminder on your forehead,c so that the teaching of the LORD will be on your lips: with a strong hand the LORD brought you out of Egypt.

Deuteronomy 11:18

Therefore, take these words of mine into your heart and soul. Bind them on your arm as a sign, and let them be as a pendant on your forehead.

Proverbs 3:3

Do not let love and fidelity forsake you;
bind them around your neck;
write them on the tablet of your heart.

Proverbs 6:20-21

20 Observe, my son, your father’s command,
and do not reject your mother’s teaching;
21 Keep them fastened over your heart always,
tie them around your neck.

Deuteronomy 6:4-9

4 Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD alone!
5 Therefore, you shall love the LORD, your God, with your whole heart, and with your whole being, and with your whole strength.
6 Take to heart these words which I command you today.
7 Keep repeating them to your children. Recite them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you get up.
8 Bind them on your arm as a sign and let them be as a pendant on your forehead.
9 Write them on the doorposts of your houses and on your gates.

In these scriptures, when God tells us to follow His commands, He speaks of binding them to our hands, wearing them on our foreheads or around our necks, even engraving them on our hearts.

In my opinion (I do not speak for the Church, but submit to Her teaching authority if I am incorrect), these are not to be understood as literal instructions. We do not need to bind something to our arms (and so on) to demonstrate we are following God’s commands.

We are to keep His commands before us as clearly as if they were on our hands or foreheads or around our necks.

In Revelation, it’s possible that God is referring to those who have rejected Him as having taken the mark of the beast on their hands or foreheads. This is the opposite of what He repeatedly instructed the Israelites to do. In “taking the mark” those who follow the beast have made that man their god instead of the Lord.

Revelation is speaking in terms of judgment and no longer having the ability to repent of one’s decisions.

But today, here and now, if you are breathing and conscious, you can repent and go to confession and start living as one who has bound the commands of God on your hand and engraved them on your heart. :thumbsup:

It’s never too late while you are still alive. God loves you and is waiting. :heart:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

It appears to be something in the future that we will need to have in order to buy or sell. We don’t know what it will be as of yet.

Probably some kind of pledge of allegiance to a political leader. Possibly an implanted GPS microchip if such a thing exists (probably does). Or maybe it’s figurative, but I doubt it. You won’t be able to sell or buy stuff without it. But first wait for the man of perdition from the Middle East who will get Israel and its belligerent neighbours to sign a 7-year peace treaty. You can’t receive the mark without knowing what you’re doing (if you’ve read the Book of Revelation). if you’re a Christian you can’t unknowingly receive the mark.

I agree with that. Since it will coincide with the short-lived reign of the antichrist, I can’t help to think it’s some kind of pledge that you are willing to follow the leadership of that man.

The book of Revelation is highly symbolic. I take the mark being on the head and hand as being something you “think” and something you do “do.” Those people will have the devil, or evil things, in their thoughts and actions.

I wouldn’t take “buy and sell” too literally either. Simply put, you won’t be able to do business very well without these thoughts/actions.

I have been an evil sinner.

So? Repent, go sin no more. Literally that simple :slight_smile:

God is cool like that.

Whatever it is, it ISN’T what the “radio preachers” like to speculate it is: it’s not bar codes on groceries, not your Social Security Number, not the logo of the Postal Service, not your insurance card number, not the “www” in Internet addresses, not the Trinitarian symbols that appear on some Bible covers and which are claimed to be a “hidden 666” - it’s none of those things. And yes, I have heard all those claimed, at one time or another, to be the “Mark of the Beast.”

The mark of the beast is four lines down and three across. This makes 6 squares.

|___|___|___|
|___|___|___|

Using the standard English alphabet A-Z and numbers 0-9 that makes for (6 x 6)6th combinations of values to put in the boxes. Thus it could be used as a tattoo to register people. On the forearm for some, on the forehead for others (criminals).

Demons have been clawing this mark on priests during exorcisms for centuries.

Forty Three years ago I read the book, “There’s a New World Coming,” by Hal Lindsey, where he gives a fundamentalist’s interpretation of the Book of Revelation.

OK, I had a priest friend of mine review a copy of the book I had, and he straightened me and my wife out on its flawed interpretation.

That being said, Lindsey predicted that technology would develop so that a computer chip could be implanted into every human being, so that they could be identified. I worked in high-teach back in 1973, so it didn’t seem too far fetched.

And now we have such a chip on our dog.

Then just last week I read an article where they have been able to place a chip under the skin on a person’s hand, which will carry all the personal information of a person.

With all the identity theft and stolen credit cards. this will prevent that from happening.

Well. think about it. The hand is a bad location for such a device, because the chip could ended up being damaged there as the hand is used for so many things.

However, a logically safe place would to place it under the skin between the person’s eyes. It’s one area of the body, the person instinctively protects and the chip would receive that protection.

Now, in order to receive government benefits, make purchases, get medical treatment or whatever, you’ll need to have that chip.

Wa lah, Lindsey’s interpretation of the mark of the beast in the book of Revelation comes true. :smiley:

Just a thought.

Jim

I had in the back of my mind that this was more about committing the unpardonabel sin, unwillingly taking the mark of the beast etc. That this was more about scrupulosity. And I understand it’s very easy for people who are prone to anxiety, insecurity, worry, and who are OCDish to fall into that pit.

Hi there - Do you have any links or references?

A shiver just went down my spine.

I wouldn’t worry about microchips under the skin of our pets, or even of people.

The “mark” is inexorably connected with allegiance to the antichrist. I don’t think anyone as prayerful and faithful as I have seen you on CAF is going to suddenly say, “Forget Christ, I’m going to follow this man instead.” :eek:

God is our loving Father who wants us to spend eternity with Him infinitely more than we could ever desire it ourselves.

God is not the Egyptian sphinx, who will allow things to be so complicated and confusing that His loving children would somehow accidentally take the mark.

Be at peace. :signofcross:

IDK about that, Jesus also warned us the majority of people, even the elect, would be fooled by the AC, believing him to be who he claims, and the AC will be the one who calls for people to get the mark, so I have a feeling its not going to be that black and white when it happens, there will likely be fierce debates on whether its the mark or not, or if the AC really is the AC…Heck these kinds of debates are going on right now, it will be much worse when the real AC is here and in power.

Point is if God allows us to be fooled into believing the AC, Im not sure he would give us the sense to recognize the mark.

:eek: What?

Are you honestly implying that God would not grant His own children the grace to resist evil when they ask?

Take a closer look at the scripture to which you are referring:

*“For there will rise up false Christs and false prophets, and they shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce (if it were possible) even the elect.” * ~ Mark 13:22 (Douay-Rheims version)

And here’s a commentary on the meaning of that verse:

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary

“For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall show signs and wonders…”

No one can read Josephus’ account of what took place before the destruction of Jerusalem without seeing how strikingly this was fulfilled.

“…to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.”

— implying that this, though all but done, will prove impossible. What a precious assurance! (Compare 2 Th 2:9-12).

Wildlast??? Any links or references to the sign looking like a crossword puzzle I asked a few posts ago?

No, you misunderstood, God would never withhold grace from his children to resist evil, what I meant was in recognizing the evil.

If the bible is correct and majority of people will be deceived by the AC and not recognize him for who he truly is, that implies recognition/ discernment will be the problem.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.