Mark11:24

Scripture says-- For this reason I tell you: When you pray and ask for something, believe that you have received it, and you will be given whatever you ask for.

I’ve always been told the answer may be yes, no or later.

Isn’t Scripture wrong, here? Why or why not?

No, Scripture is not wrong.

[quote=Jam 4:3]You ask but do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions.
[/quote]

What about all of us praying for peace and an end to the extreme violence, and yet it continues.

That would mean that the answer was wait

What about when the answer is no yet Scripture says we’ll get what we ask for?

When we pray we need to pray according to the Holy Spirit. Prayer IS seeking God’s Will and so if we seek always His Will we will always receive it. When we ask for good things which seek the salvation/sanctification of people we will, if we ask in faith, always receive that because faith IS conformity to God’s Will and desires.

Just some thoughts.

Matt

Some people do advocate taking this verse alone, literally, without other context. Think about it. You have a limited budget, but you want a 4 or 5 bedroom house when you have a 3. Even though your two and a half kids are about to go off to college, it would be really cool to have that extra room for stuff, as you have accumulated a lot, and its so hard to cull through it. Anyway, if you have more room, you can get more stuff - and stuff is nice! So you ask, believing on this promise. Should God give it to you? Maybe He would not be a very wise and loving Father if He did. Then, He wouldn’t be Himself. So this must not be the answer.

Based on this verse, a popular theology among some Protestant groups is “Name it and Claim it.” Though I did not call it that, I sort of believed it (it seemed Biblical!). Especially in the case of my marraige - certainly God wanted that to be better, forever. Certainly that was His will, since He hates divorce. It seemed safe to believe that I woudl receive this answer to prayer, despite all evidence to the contrary. I saw the evidence, but I believed in God to do a miracle, and my role was to do my best and wait for Him to act.

When I was faced with divorce, I wondered if I should not drag it out with a “no divorce” case so God could have more time to do the miracle I had been waiting for in good faith. A good lawyer advised against this. So I ask a holy and strict priest, telling him this lawyer’s advice, and telling him that if I took the advice (basically it was divorce him back), I felt I would be giving up on God, whom I had been waiting on all these years. He told me that “God does miracles, but He never tells us to expect one.”

So, this is the truth.

God’s not going to magically make bad guys disappear even though he technically could. Instead, when we pray, he will give us an opportunity to stop this violence. Or he will just make us wait. He wants to bring us into His plan for love. He is not going to do all the work (physically, that is).

Why not? Any Scripture to support your claim?

I guess He COULD, but if God solved all the world’s problems in one wave of His finger, being a Christian would be pretty boring. :shrug:

How so? I think if He ended terrorism with the wave of His hand, it would be pretty darned neat.

How so? I think if He ended terrorism with the wave of His hand, it would be pretty darned neat.

Yes, it would be neat. But God gave humans the gift free will. Free will to choose good or evil. In this present world, God permits much that He does not approve. Having given man the power of free will tells us that God did not want a machine that He could manipulate and control. He, rather, wanted a moral being He could love and one who could freely choose to reciprocate that love. He will not intrude or impose his will on man because that would be contrary to the heart and purpose of his creative act.

I think the question you are asking is, why does God allow suffering? Paul addressed this in his letter to the Romans. He basically said, Why are you asking? Who are YOU to question God? (Romans 9:20).

Paul insisted that no matter what our suffering, we must accept that God is wise, merciful and just. Paul was saying that God allows human suffering because he is God. Our human minds cannot comprehend God’s wisdom or decisions. God has a plan and a reason for everything He does and we must trust in Him.

“May Your will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven”.

The passage is about TRUST,
We pray trusting that God hears us, and knowing that whatever the outcome, it’s His will.

Lots of people expect God to just fix everything. Everything perfect.
That’s not a picture of earth. That’s heaven. For there to be pasting peace, PEOPLE have to change. People have to choose well. God doesn’t interfere with our freedom to choose.
He’s waiting for US to act.

Ok, I get it.

:wink:
God bless you. Nice to see you on the boards. Have a beautiful Thanksgiving.

:thumbsup: Nice answer!

Some how making evil disappear with a thought would be neat but I think that would not be in accordance with this plan. His plan include::

1. Free will and that includes the ability for others to do evil to you and your love ones and for us to do unto others as well. Because of suffering, we experience a greater outpouring of compassion and love for our neighbours. We see that each time terrorism strikes. Each time tragedy strikes, we see heroes arise and effort to prevent future tragedies.
  2. Suffering/Death. Praying for everyone to live forever or a long time, free of sickness and suffering is at odds with a fallen world. Pray for a non-fallen world and you would have fixed everything. But I don’ think it works that way.
  3. Timetable. It appears that God has a timetable for everything. 400 years must pass before Moses appears to take the Israelites out of Egypt. And more time must pass till the number in heaven reached its target (Rev 6:11).

Meanwhile, we pray that the Father’s will be done on earth as in Heaven. And not ours. Changing something today may affect something tomorrow and what may be a good result for one person now may not be a good result for the rest of the world tomorrow or even for that person. Butterfly effect? We trust God’s plan is the better one than ours.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.