Maronite Catholic Church

There is a Maronite Catholic Church nearby and as a RC Catholic I’d like to attend Mass there one Sunday.

Could someone tell me a little about what to expect? If there are chants, are they in another language? Is the Eucharist leavened bread, and can a Catholic from the Latin Rite partake of it?

Finally, if I should choose to change to the Eastern Rite would I need the Bishop’s approval? If so, why, since this is still part of the Catholic Church.

Any info would be appreciated.

You would only need the Maronite’s bishop OK. He will take care of the other formalities for you. It is easier for a Latin to transfer to a non-Latin Rite than for a non-Latin to transfer to the Latin Rite. This is a special provision instituted by a past Pope in favor of the non-Latin Catholic Churches to help preserve our identity and Traditions in a predominantly Latin communion of Churches.

If so, why, since this is still part of the Catholic Church.

Because you are the member of a particular Church with a different set of canonical rules on a good number of matters than the Latin Church (such as baptism of children, different liturgical calendar, etc.). You are, for lack of a better description, switching organizations, and you need the approval of the head of one organization to make a switch to the other organization. It is more than a mere formality. The canonical transfer is for the purpose of allowing you to fully experience the full breadth of the spiritual benefits of the Church to which you are transferring.

Blessings,
Marduk

Don’t know whether the Eucharist is from leavened bread or not, but whatever the case, any Catholic is free to receive communion in any Church in communion with Rome, from whatever rite. So you can go to the Maronite church for Mass and receive the Eucharist there with no problem at all.

Someone used to the Latin Rite Novus Ordo will notice a few differences, but will be comfortable. OTOH, someone used to the Latin Rite Usus Antiqior will probably notice a number of similarities with the Novus Ordo and so will be far less comfortable.

For the most part, the singing will probably be vernacular. There may or may not be something sung in Syriac or Arabic. The actual music used depends to a large extent on the particular parish. I’m not familiar with the one in Utah so I can’t say.

No, it’s unleavened.

Yes.

Those points have already been well addressed by [post=7904235]mardukm[/post]. :slight_smile:

St. Judes is a small parish. The priest is half Lebanese, half Polish, and the community that is left is around 30% Lebanese; I mention this so that cultural differences won’t hesitate you from attending. The building itself is a former Latin church that was sold to the Maronites a few decades ago, and has been refurbished to Maronitic taste, though you will notice Latin elements throughout. Coupled with the NO similarities of the current Maronite rubrics, you should find it comfortable. English is predominant though the parish priest is fond of using Syriac more than the norm. He is incredibly welcoming and knowledgable, I encourage you to speak with him before or after Liturgy for any more questions.

Doesn’t the Latin Bishop need to approve as well?

Yes to transfer canonical enrollment, you need permission from both Bishops.

The one near me has a Divine Liturgy/Qurbono chiefly sung/chanted chiefly in Arabic (?)/ Syriac (?) on Sunday. It also has two weekend Qurbonos (one on Saturday, one on early Sunday morning) spoken almost entirely in English, save the consecration, which is always in Syriac, under pain of priestly suspension from our (that is, the Maronite) bishop.

Holy Communion is by intinction (the Host is dipped into the Chalice).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.