marriage and children

First point: I’ve figured out the problem with society. Marriage is not about “me and him,” it’s about “me and him and we’ve got kids to raise.” I felt like a genius when I figured that out.

Second point: Is it wrong to be married and not have kids of your own? I’m 16 years old and I was doing some serious thinking and praying and I think I’ll probably get married, but I’m kind of scared of childbirth. Would it be wrong to be married and adopt and not have my own kids?

Point 2.5: Abortion is a super big issue with me, and I really do want to adopt. The other thing I’m scared of is if I have my own kids and I also have adopted kids I don’t want to favor any. As annoyed as I get with my mom saying “oh, you look just like [insert name of family member]” I think I would miss that. And I would hate doing that to only some of my kids.

Any experienced moms out there… please help me.

I’m not a mother, but I can’t wait until the day that I am. I agree with you in that, a husband and wife should keep a focus on their relationship. That is very important in order to have a close and loving family. But raising kids is no small task and takes a lot of time, so having a good relationship with your husband is great.

I don’t think adopting is wrong because there are many children out there who need loving homes. But if God blesses you with a child then that is what he wants for you and your husband. As for being scared of childbirth, who isn’t(I know I am)… but I think that’s the best part of being a woman. That’s what many women are made to do, have children and be mothers. As for having children that you adopt and that you gave birth to, they both came to you from God, just in different ways. So I have faith that you would treat them and love them equally.

I hope that helped a little, I’m 18 and it makes me happy to hear that younger people are thinking and praying about mariage and children(adopting too). So keep it up! Keep praying and you will find your answers. If you ever want to talk to someone slightly older, I am here.
You’re in my prayers,
Rachel

1. Marriage is not between a man and a woman…it is a sacred covenant between a man, a woman and God.
  2. Adoption is fine but you must never rule out your own children. If God blesses you with children, who are you to say no?
    2.5. You will be amazed at your ability to love your “children” no matter who conceived and bore them!!! I used to raise foster kids, I loved them as if they were my own and the kids knew it and it made them more secure after the bad things that led them to the foster care system.

Just remember, you are young. This is not the time to make decisions like this. It is a time to pray for God’s will for you and the power to carry it out.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.