Marriage between Catholic widow and Lutheran divorcee

i am a Catholic widow and my boyfriend is a divorced Lutheran who was married in a civil ceremony only. they got married because she got pregnant. His ex-wife led them to financial ruin because of a gambling problem and hen turned around and commited adultery and threw him out of the house. my quesion is: can we get married in the Catholic church since he wasnt married in religious ceremony and im free to remarry?

[quote="princessdiana62, post:1, topic:252571"]
i am a Catholic widow and my boyfriend is a divorced Lutheran who was married in a civil ceremony only. they got married because she got pregnant. His ex-wife led them to financial ruin because of a gambling problem and hen turned around and commited adultery and threw him out of the house. my quesion is: can we get married in the Catholic church since he wasnt married in religious ceremony and im free to remarry?

[/quote]

Maybe.

The only certainty in answers
should begin with your parish priest.

Since he was baptized and was married only in the state's eyes, I would say yes. Whether or not you should marry him is probably another story.

Because he was baptized, you would likely need to seek a Pauline Privledge. It is a fairly simple process to go through. Your pastor would be able to give you details and specify what is required. I'd suggest seeking the advice of your pastor.

[quote="catharina, post:2, topic:252571"]
Maybe.

The only certainty in answers
should begin with your parish priest.

[/quote]

Agree, your parish priest will help you.

[quote="Suslar, post:4, topic:252571"]
Because he was baptized, you would likely need to seek a Pauline Privledge. It is a fairly simple process to go through. Your pastor would be able to give you details and specify what is required. I'd suggest seeking the advice of your pastor.

[/quote]

A Pauline Privilege deals with two parties that were not baptized at the time of marriage, so this would not apply.

Definitely speak to a priest on this one. I'm have no idea what the rules for marriage are for Lutherans. If a Catholic is married in a civil ceremony without dispensation, the Church doesn't consider it a valid marriage. If such a rule exists for Lutheran, it is likely that his married would be viewed as invalid. If it is considered valid, the case is going to have to go before a tribunal.

Whoa! That will teach me for posting so quickly!
Yes, it is not a Pauline Privledge, but a Petrine Privledge that is likely needed. This is also called a Privledge of the Faith case. Start by asking your pastor. He will know how to direct you based on receiving more info from you, and your pastor can give you the correct paperwork to begin the process. Good luck!

Civil marriages between two non-Catholics are valid marriages, and if they are baptized, they are sacramental. Non-Catholics are not bound by Catholic marriage regulations. There does not have to be a religious ceremony for two non-Catholics to validly marry. The Church would consider his previous marriage valid until it was proven by the Tribunal that it was not.

I had a friend in the exact same position as you, her fiance was even a divorced Lutheran. He had to get a declaration of nullity before they could marry. You need to see a priest about this, you cannot assume anything. Go see your priest ASAP to start this process if you are considering marriage, because it could take some time.

[quote="Suslar, post:7, topic:252571"]
Whoa! That will teach me for posting so quickly!
Yes, it is not a Pauline Privledge, but a Petrine Privledge that is likely needed. This is also called a Privledge of the Faith case. Start by asking your pastor. He will know how to direct you based on receiving more info from you, and your pastor can give you the correct paperwork to begin the process. Good luck!

[/quote]

I always had the idea that the Petrine Prvledge was rarely implemented, since it is reserved for the pope. Could be wrong, that was just my impression.

[quote="Suslar, post:4, topic:252571"]

[/quote]

very doubtful it applies in this case as it is very rare

he needs to visit the CAtholic pastor nearest to him and inquire about an annulment from his first marriage. He is not free to date, much less become engaged, to a Catholic unless and until his marriage is investigated and found to be invalid. Until then he is still a married man in the eyes of the Church. The Catholic Church assumes marriages of non-Catholics to be valid until proven otherwise.

if the facts are as reported there are possible grounds for annulment especially if she withheld key facts before they married, ie related to her gambling, and the aspect of the shotgun wedding. No guarantees so not wise to become engaged. Nothing in the facts as reported supports a petition on the basis of either Pauline or Petrine privilege.

[quote="Young_Thinker, post:3, topic:252571"]
Since he was baptized and was married only in the state's eyes, I would say yes. Whether or not you should marry him is probably another story.

[/quote]

No, Protestants are not bound by Catholic marriage laws, baptized or not. The Church considers civil marriages between two Protestants to be valid as long as there were no impediments, even if they were not baptized. If they were baptized the marriage also would be sacramental. the OP needs to see a priest ASAP.

[quote="CB_Catholic, post:11, topic:252571"]
No, Protestants are not bound by Catholic marriage laws, baptized or not. The Church considers civil marriages between two Protestants to be valid as long as there were no impediments, even if they were not baptized. If they were baptized the marriage also would be sacramental. the OP needs to see a priest ASAP.

[/quote]

No doubt about it!

None of us knows enough of the facts to know what might be applicable that’s why I’ve been posting that the OP should go talk with her pastor.

The pastor will get into details that are quite frankly none of my business.

But for the record, “A Petrine Privilege or Privilege of the Faith is a dissolution of marriage in which at least one of the parties to a previous marriage was non-baptized throughout the entire duration of their married life. If the petitioner is the non-baptized party or was baptized in another Christian church, he or she must either wish to be baptized or received into the Catholic Church, or seek to marry a baptized, practicing Catholic. If the petitioner is a baptized Catholic who was married to a non-baptized person, he or she must either wish to enter into marriage with a baptized Christian, or promise to enter marriage with a baptized Christian in the future. Privilege of the Faith cases involve a special petition to the Holy Father and are decided in Rome.” So it is possible this could fit the need. Again, I certainly don’t know the intimate details of the OP’s situation.

And, at least in Arch Chicago, the Metropolitan Tribunal insists – and rightly so – that the other process people have posted about be called a Declaration of Nullity (not “an annulment”). The reason is that a Declaration of Nullity means that the marriage lacked some essential component which made it non-Sacramental and therefore, not valid in the eyes of the Church. (Legally valid in the eyes of the State, yes, but that is not at issue here). The word annulment doesn’t mean the same thing – it implies the marriage never existed; like erasing it.

So, if the man’s first marriage was found to indeed be valid, a Petrine privilege may certainly be necessary as a Declaration of Nullity would say a valid marriage was never present . . . . . and you can’t have it both ways.

Again, I repeat. Dear OP, please, please go see your pastor. No one on this website is as qualified to shepherd your soul as he is.

I see.

[quote="princessdiana62, post:1, topic:252571"]

[/quote]

He will need to go to go talk to a priest, probably yours, to discuss the details of his marriage and see which process of marital investigation he needs , most likely the long form of annulment.

You really shouldn't date anyone , much less get to the point of wanting to marry someone who isn't free to date or marry. You might want to take a step back from this relationship because as of right now he is a married man as far as we can tell.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.