Marriage blessing on wedding anniversary (NOT convalidation)

The Husband and I will celebrate our eleventh wedding anniversary in a few days. We're attending Mass that evening, and our pastor will give us a blessing afterwards (he's the one celebrating the Mass).

I have never witnessed a blessing of this type before, nor do I know anyone who has received one. Could someone give me an idea of what to expect? I found an old thread that suggested such a blessing only takes "a few minutes," but I have seen Fr. B bless engagements and those sometimes take as long as 20 minutes and include the singing of more than one hymn!

I understand texts for such a blessing can be found in the Book of Blessings and I imagine Fr. B is going to use one of those, but I don't own a copy, at the moment I don't have the cash to buy one, and I can't find a copy online that doesn't include some dodgy registration process to view, though I admit I didn't look very hard. Since I am in France the blessing will be in French, but even an example of the English text would be helpful.

Thanks in advance :)

It shouldn’t be more than five minutes, at the very most. I can’t find the text, but I’ve seen it before, and it’s fairly brief, especially when it takes place in the context of Mass.

Give this link a shot UUAA, and Happy Aniversay. We had a marriage blessing ceremony at the end of our Marriage Encounter weekend, it was not more than five minutes.

catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/prayers/view.cfm?id=697

The Book of Blessings and its translations are copyrighted texts, which is why you had trouble finding them online, and why you will not see them here. Any good parish will have a copy of the book in appropriate languages in its sacristy.

If the blessing is not considered a convalidation,outside of the blessing,what is the benefit?Won't your marriage still be invalid in the eyes of the Church? :confused:

Thank you all for your responses :)

mountee, I found your link to be particularly helpful. Thank you for the anniversary wishes, and God bless you :hug3:

[quote="Elizium23, post:4, topic:326384"]
The Book of Blessings and its translations are copyrighted texts, which is why you had trouble finding them online, and why you will not see them here.

[/quote]

Ah. I had not thought of that. Thanks for pointing this out.

[quote="Elizium23, post:4, topic:326384"]
Any good parish will have a copy of the book in appropriate languages in its sacristy.

[/quote]

I guess mine is not a good parish then, as we don't have one in our sacristy—I've been the principal sacristan since December and an assisting sacristan for longer than that, and I have never seen the Book of Blessings there. :blush:

We had a private blessing after Mass - don't think it took more than a few minutes.

Congratulations! This July, on our 10th wedding anniversary, my husband and I are having our marriage blessed as well. So excited since we were both received into the Church this Easter!

Anyone got a link for the convalidation ritual?

[quote="UpUpAndAway, post:1, topic:326384"]
The Husband and I will celebrate our eleventh wedding anniversary in a few days. We're attending Mass that evening, and our pastor will give us a blessing afterwards (he's the one celebrating the Mass).

I have never witnessed a blessing of this type before, nor do I know anyone who has received one. Could someone give me an idea of what to expect? I found an old thread that suggested such a blessing only takes "a few minutes," but I have seen Fr. B bless engagements and those sometimes take as long as 20 minutes and include the singing of more than one hymn!

I understand texts for such a blessing can be found in the Book of Blessings and I imagine Fr. B is going to use one of those, but I don't own a copy, at the moment I don't have the cash to buy one, and I can't find a copy online that doesn't include some dodgy registration process to view, though I admit I didn't look very hard. Since I am in France the blessing will be in French, but even an example of the English text would be helpful.

Thanks in advance :)

[/quote]

Are what you witnessed actually a "Blessing" of an engagement or did you witness full betrothal ceremonies? I would expect that those would take much longer than a 'Blessing'.

Deltadeliquent, the convalidation ceremony is the wedding ritual. There is no difference between a convalidation and regular Church wedding ceremony. They can be as simple or as elaborate as you wish.

Thanks!

[quote="MaryRita85, post:8, topic:326384"]
Congratulations! This July, on our 10th wedding anniversary, my husband and I are having our marriage blessed as well. So excited since we were both received into the Church this Easter!

[/quote]

Thanks, and congratulations to you and your husband on all counts as well :hug3:

[quote="Phemie, post:10, topic:326384"]
Are what you witnessed actually a "Blessing" of an engagement or did you witness full betrothal ceremonies? I would expect that those would take much longer than a 'Blessing'.

[/quote]

To be honest, I don't know. Fr. B called them "Engagement Blessings" (« Bénédictions des fiançailles »).

[quote="UpUpAndAway, post:12, topic:326384"]
Thanks, and congratulations to you and your husband on all counts as well :hug3:

To be honest, I don't know. Fr. B called them "Engagement Blessings" (« Bénédictions des fiançailles »).

[/quote]

Of course what you can say in five words in English usually takes two lines in French. :D

Isn’t that the truth :smiley: In which case I can only imagine how long a full betrothal ceremony would take!

Over the years, I've noticed couples have a simple blessing for an anniversary before the end of the Mass while others choose a quick vow renewal ( renewals usually for milestone anniversaries like 25th or 50th anniversaries as my parents did). Its been a while since there has been done in a public setting unless a couple chose a private setting for a blessing or renewal.

Oh goodness, I hope Father's not planning to do this during Mass. :eek: I distinctly remember him saying "after Mass," but as we communicate in a language he speaks natively and I don't, it's possible I misunderstood him. I'd better clarify that.

All engagement blessings have taken place in the chapel after Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.