Marriage Blessing Stipend


After much anticipation and 8 years of civil marriage, my wife and I will soon have a sacramental marriage . What is a fair stipend to give to a priest for this? I have seen answers for tradional weddings in the Church, but nothing for a quick ceremony before the alter. Thanks! (edit: I think this is more of a blessing as a valid marriage in the Church. My wife will be received into the Church during the Easter Vigil as a Catholic, But a few days before this we will have our marriage blessing. I guess she will be still seen as a Protestant/catechuman at the time of the blessing?)


I highly recommend you ask what is customary in your diocese. It varies considerably from place to place.

Also ask if the offerings for sacraments go to the priest (diocese of Galveston-Houston for example) or to the parish works of charity (my current diocese, for example) or somewhere else. This is established by the bishop.

Here in my diocese the offering in thanksgiving for a sacrament goes to the works of charity not the priest personally. So, if a parishioner wants to give something specifically to the priest, it is given separately.


What you are about to do is to be actually MARRIED in the Church and it is called convalidating your civil marriage. This isn’t a blessing, it’s a full-fledged Catholic wedding without the Mass. :thumbsup: Husband and I had our marriage convalidated three weeks ago, with just our priest, our two witnesses, and the two of us standing before the altar.


Or within the Mas. Convalidations can occur in or outside Mass.


[quote="1ke, post:4, topic:319338"]
Or within the Mas. Convalidations can occur in or outside Mass.


You are right :thumbsup: Ours was outside of Mass because Husband is not entering the Church with me so Fr. C made it as simple as possible for him.


It is up to you…or ask the parish office.

You could also give a gift instead.


[quote="Buffalo2NY, post:1, topic:319338"]


Yes, she is a Catholic upon her reception. Canon law on simple validation, which is commonly invalid due to a lack of canonical form (See 1160):

ARTICLE 1: SIMPLE VALIDATION Canon 1156.1 To validate a marriage which is invalid because of a diriment impediment, it is required that the impediment cease or be dispensed, and that at least the party aware of the impediment renews consent.
Canon 1156.2 This renewal is required by ecclesiastical law for the validity of the validation, even if at the beginning both parties had given consent and had not afterwards withdrawn it.
Canon 1157 The renewal of consent must be a new act of will consenting to a marriage which the renewing party knows or thinks was invalid from the beginning.
Canon 1158.1 If the impediment is public, consent is to be renewed by both parties in the canonical form, without prejudice to the provision of Canon 1127.3.
Canon 1158.2 If the impediment cannot be proved, it is sufficient that consent be renewed privately and in secret, specifically by the party who is aware of the impediment provided the other party persists in the consent given, or by both parties if the impediment is known to both.
Canon 1159.1 A marriage invalid because of a defect of consent is validated if the party who did not consent, now does consent, provided the consent given by the other party persists.
Canon 1159.2 If the defect of the consent cannot be proven, it is sufficient that the party who did not consent, gives consent privately and in secret.
Canon 1159.3 If the defect of consent can be proven, it is necessary that consent be given in the canonical form.
Canon 1160 For a marriage which is invalid because of defect of form to become valid, it must be contracted anew in the canonical form, without prejudice to the provisions of Canon 1127.3 [4].

Canon 1127.1 The provisions of canon 1108 are to be observed in regard to the form to be used in a mixed marriage. If, however, the catholic party contracts marriage with a non-catholic party of oriental rite, the canonical form of celebration is to be observed for lawfulness only; for validity, however, the intervention of a sacred minister is required, while observing the other requirements of law.

Canon 1127.2 If there are grave difficulties in the way of observing the canonical form, the local Ordinary of the catholic party has the right to dispense from it in individual cases, having however consulted the Ordinary of the place of the celebration of the marriage; for validity, however, some public form of celebration is required. It is for the Episcopal Conference to establish norms whereby this dispensation may be granted in a uniform manner.
Canon 1127.3 It is forbidden to have, either before or after the canonical celebration in accordance with 1127.1, another religious celebration of the same marriage for the purpose of giving or renewing matrimonial consent. Likewise, there is not to be a religious celebration in which the catholic assistant and a non-catholic minister, each performing his own rite, ask for the consent of the parties.

Can. 1108 §1 Only those marriages are valid which are contracted in the presence of the local Ordinary or parish priest or of the priest or deacon delegated by either of them, who, in the presence of two witnesses, assists, in accordance however with the rules set out in the following canons, and without prejudice to the exceptions mentioned in cann. 144, 1112 §1, 1116 and 1127 §§2 - 3.

Can. 1108 §2 Only that person who, being present, asks the contracting parties to manifest their consent and in the name of the Church receives it, is understood to assist at a marriage.

Can. 1117 The form prescribed above is to be observed if at least one of the parties contracting marriage was baptised in the catholic Church or received into it and has not by a formal act defected from it, without prejudice to the provisions of can. 1127 §2.

Can. 1118 §1 A marriage between catholics, or between a catholic party and a baptised non-catholic, is to be celebrated in the parish church. By permission of the local Ordinary or of the parish priest, it may be celebrated in another church or oratory.

Can. 1118 §2 The local Ordinary can allow a marriage to be celebrated in another suitable place.

Can. 1118 §3 A marriage between a catholic party and an unbaptised party may be celebrated in a church or in another suitable place.

Can. 1119 Apart from a case of necessity, in the celebration of marriage those rites are to be observed which are prescribed in the liturgical books approved by the Church, or which are acknowledged by lawful customs.

Can. 1124 Without the express permission of the competent authority, marriage is prohibited between two baptised persons, one of whom was baptised in the catholic Church or received into it after baptism and has not defected from it by a formal act, the other of whom belongs to a Church or ecclesial community not in full communion with the catholic Church.


Thank you all for the answers to my first question and post!


I would ask at the parish office. When my wife and I did ours, the deacon refused any kind of stipend at all. Good luck and congrats!

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit