Marriage consomation

…a life without love…how sad.

Remember in out american eyes. Pre Cana Classes and such are not a universal mandate in all areas.

I can see where you’re coming from, but honestly, if a person knows for a solid fact that there’s no way they can have sex with their spouse, it may not be best to enter a marriage. I feel like if you love the person enough to marry them you probably would really really want to consummate the marriage. I guess from a non-catholic perspective, it could be justified by saying the couple could do other…ahem things to satisfy the physical aspect of the marriage, but it’s still not the same thing :shrug:
I think it would cause so much stress in a marriage. I mean, I probably couldn’t deal with such an issue. I know that sounds harsh, but I think it’s taken for granted if you don’t deal with any of those types of issues.

huh. I thought it was an important part of getting married in the church anywhere.

It’s just sad that some people experience rejection for having a disabilities their entire lives. If one was also impotent, due to an accident, sickness, whatever, and found a partner who would love him and be understanding, that the Church would refuse to allow it?

I’m having difficulty accepting that.

I’m disappointed, but what do I know? Nothing.

Life isn’t fair. I know.

Well, it said even if neither could consumate it, the Church would still forbid it.

Doesn’t seem fair is all I’m saying.

Well, it makes marriage all about reproduction, not love.

I suppose some form of pre cana is exercised. But do you think in third world countires or war torn areas that people are going to pre cana classes to hear an NFP or finance talk on Wednesday nights? Pre cana “Classes” as you and I know them are probably not the norm in the majority of the Catholic World.

Can someone in that case appeal that decision or is it carved in stone?

Well, fortunately, medicine keeps advancing, and I’m sure that what once left someone forever impotent is able to be fixed now. Like another poster said, I’m pretty sure that it’s not a problem unless there’s absolutely no way that it could ever happen. Even if a man has a micropenis, he can still technically have intercourse. I know we weren’t grilled about it during our pre-nuptial investigation.

I’m inclined to believe you, but do we have proof of that?

common sense.:shrug:

Other than that I suppose you could Google translate other countries protocol for getting married. I would start with spanish.:wink:

I know we have a kind of Pre-Cana in Mexico and have, I think, for many years. Never been through it, so I couldn’t say, for certain, what it includes.

I know there’s a place in the city that also teaches NFP.

Wiki:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Cana

Note:

Approaches to Pre-Cana vary among Catholic dioceses and parishes

> The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops considers the following topics as "must have conversations"[1] before couples marry:

> Spirituality/Faith
> Conflict Resolution Skills
> Careers
> Finances
> Intimacy/Cohabitation
> Children
> Commitment
> Other topics that may be covered by Pre-Cana include:

> Ceremony Planning
> Family of Origin[2]
> Communication
> Marriage as a Sacrament
> Sexuality
> Natural Family Planning
> Theology of the Body
> Couple Prayer
> Unique Challenges of Military Couples
> Stepfamilies
> Children of Divorce

As you can see the USCCB has it’s own subjects that must be covered though need not be in classes. It would appear then that other bishops may have their own methods.

You will find that many things like sacrament prep. Vary greatly from place to place and culture to culture. Many assume that it is universal in the whole Church but it is not. No doubt many parishes are content to let others think it is a hard and fast policy of the Church at large.:wink:

There are some rites that even allow for and practice infant confirmation and Communion.

Try arguing that to a DRE though…

Yeah, you’re right. Those countries are all underdeveloped and economically unstable, there’s NO WAY they could have any type of pre cana class.

Gosh, I need to just stick to sweeping generalizations! AMERICA! YEAH!
:D:D:p:p

The American Catholic Church is vastly smaller than the rest of the world. And it is governed in large part by the USCCB especially in sacrament prep. Canada follows the US . (as with everything):smiley:

But say a couple in Iraq facing poverty, war and a beheading of a family member a day can and do still get married. Without a class put together by some old lady at the parish front desk.:wink:

Here is more from the USCCB describing how policies may differ even in these United States.

usccb.org/issues-and-action/marriage-and-family/marriage/marriage-preparation/mpanalysis.cfm

Ok. there. I am done. If you wish to know what some village in Namibia requires you will have to look it up!:stuck_out_tongue:

Curses!

No appeal…the gift of the body in the sexual relationship is a real symbol of the giving of the whole person…

and

… sexuality, by means of which man and woman give themselves to one another through the acts which are proper and exclusive to spouses, is by no means something purely biological, but concerns the innermost being of the human person as such. It is realized in a truly human way only if it is an integral part of the love by which a man and a woman commit themselves totally to one another until death. The total physical self-giving would be a lie if it were not the sign and fruit of a total personal self-giving, in which the whole person, including the temporal dimension, is present: if the person were to withhold something or reserve the possibility of deciding otherwise in the future, by this very fact he or she would not be giving totally.

This totality which is required by conjugal love also corresponds to the demands of responsible fertility. This fertility is directed to the generation of a human being, and so by its nature it surpasses the purely biological order and involves a whole series of personal values. For the harmonious growth of these values a persevering and unified contribution by both parents is necessary.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_jp-ii_exh_19811122_familiaris-consortio_en.html

No exceptions?

It’s just that in life, there are generally exceptions to pretty much any rule.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.