Marriage during Lent

My son is getting married during Lent this year. The church in his town allows it, in my town it does not. Does anyone know the rules on this? Also, has anyone ever heard of not having the full Mass for a wedding ceremony? He said he is not having the hour and half ceremony that some people have.

I don’t know if there is a canon law about getting married during Lent.

But I can tell you, you do not have to have a full Mass for your wedding. As this is something we also chose not to do. My Husband is not Catholic, and it just seemed wrong to eliminate him (as well as his family and most his side of the church) from the ceremony.

[quote="hopevalley, post:1, topic:228297"]
My son is getting married during Lent this year. The church in his town allows it, in my town it does not. Does anyone know the rules on this?

[/quote]

Advent and Lent are penitential seasons, therefore in general weddings are not done during these seasons. While there is no universal law prohibiting weddings during Lent, at the diocesan level the Bishop can prohibit them.

[quote="hopevalley, post:1, topic:228297"]
Also, has anyone ever heard of not having the full Mass for a wedding ceremony?

[/quote]

Yes, the couple can choose to have the Rite of Marriage during Mass or outside of Mass.

The Rite outside of Mass is typically chosen when a Catholic is marrying a non-Catholic. A couple would also have the Rite outside Mass if a deacon presides over the ceremony.

Thank you for the answers so far. My son said the priest said no problem with getting married March 26. As far as the shorter wedding ceremony, both my son and his fiance are Catholic but I was just wondering if many people do this. Can you receive Holy Communion in a shorter ceremony?

My daughter was married during Lent with the permission of the Bishop. They had a full Nuptial Mass. There was only 1 stipulation–the Church was to be lightly decorated. She ordered some potted ferns, and the only flowers were what the bridal party carried. She did have plain white bows on the pews. Father was happy with that and the wedding was simple and beautiful. The music was beautiful, too, as she had a string quintet from the local university school of music and the organ and chose beautiful classic pieces.

It is possible if a Mass is impossible (for example, a deacon presiding at the wedding) but it depends upon whether or not the Bishop allows it in his diocese.

Really the best place to get answers to your questions is the pastor at the parish where your son will be married.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.