Marriage for Deacons

What is the Catholic Church's policy of marriage for deacons? Of course marriage would not be allowed for those deacons who are preparing to be priests.

However, what about for those deacons who are in the position as a lifetime ministry... known as the "permanent deaconate"?

Are men allowed to be ordained as permanent deacons if they are married? Also... are they allowed by the church to get married (or re-married) once they have already become deacons?

If you are already married you are able to become a decon. If your wife dies a decon is not allowed to remarry. Very scary thing for a young man to commit to if the couple has young kids.

Without reviewing the official sources, I recall that someone, whether married or single, can receive the Sacrament of Holy Orders to become a Deacon.

However, someone who is single and becomes a Deacon cannot receive later the Sacrament of Matrimony; and if he was married at the time he became a Deacon and his wife passes away, he cannot re-marry.

Point being: a Deacon receives to some degree the Sacrament of Holy Orders. This is a consecration to Christ, lesser than that of a priest and of that of a bishop, but still within the boundary of the same Sacrament: a Deacon is an ordained minister.

:confused:

Why, is the young father supposed to re-marry due to the young kids? Isn’t marriage a vocation, just like the call to become a deacon? How will he know beforehand whether God wants him to re-marry or not?

[quote="aikidan, post:1, topic:301698"]
Are men allowed to be ordained as permanent deacons if they are married?

[/quote]

Yes.

are they allowed by the church to get married (or re-married) once they have already become deacons?

No. They can marry before ordination but not after.

Although, in rare cases, a dispensation to allow a widower to marry will be granted if there are small children who need a mother.

My Parish Deacon became my Godfather. He once noted how blessed he was to be able to do what none of us are able. And that is to receive all 7 Sacraments. Most of us will only receive 6. It was interesting as I never really thought of it before.

Which is why many dioceses won’t accept a man into diaconate formation until his children are older.

[quote="Tarpeian_Rock, post:7, topic:301698"]
Which is why many dioceses won't accept a man into diaconate formation until his children are older.

[/quote]

That is quite interesting! Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.