Marriage--God's idea or man's?

I have had this ongoing debate with friends for years. Did God ‘invent’ marriage for the good of man, or did man? Why would man invent marriage? My friends say that it had to do with children, inheritances, etc…to keep the family name going, etc…

But, then God clearly speaks about it in the Bible…my friends say that was man made words twisted to look like it came from God. (Uh, some of my friends are atheists if you haven’t figured that out, yet…lol)

What do you think? I say it’s God’s idea!

The Catechism states God created marriage. See CCC starting at 1602.

Well, there are loads of indigenous cultures all around the world that have quite happily settled issues of children and inheritances and so on without anything like the institution of marriage as we know it, so that can’t be the answer.

Jesus states that it is from God [Mark 10:6-9]:

But from the beginning of creation, God made them male and female.' **7**]For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife,
8] and the two shall become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two but one flesh.
9] What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder."

Are they saying that Jesus is the man who twisted the words? :rolleyes:

But they are, of course, not as truly happy as if they were living in the state of sacramental grace which comes from marriage. Just because their culture is ‘indigenous’ or more ‘natural’ than ours does not make their approach to family life the correct one. It just means that they do not know God or understand the meaning of their own creation.

From Genesis to the New Testament, Scripture tells the story of man and woman being made for one another. Marriage is indeed created by God, and that meaning is written even in each one of our bodies.

Marriage is God’s idea. God created marriage when He created Adam and Eve to be mates for each other. :slight_smile:

Yeah…my sentiments exactly! eye roll and all;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.