Marriage in Heaven

ok im just confused about this subject when we take our vows here on earth does that continue in heaven or are we just all brothers and sisters up there

There is no marriage in heaven. We live as the angels.

The Marriage bond is broken at death.

Hi

I am an Ahmadi Muslim a non-Catholic.

We find a mention of this in the Holy Quran : Chapter 36: YaSin, which I give for interest of the members here:

[36:55] And on that day no soul will be wronged in aught; nor will you be requited but for what you used to do.
[36:56] Verily, the inmates of heaven will, on that day, be happy in their occupation.
[36:57] *They and their wives **will be in pleasant shades, reclining on raised couches.
[36:58] They will have fruits therein, and they will have whatever they call for.
[36:59] They will be greeted with Peace - a word of greeting from the Merciful Lord.

*The word “zowj” is used in Arabic both for husbands and wives, so there is some sort of partnership continuing in the next world if both husbands and wives are servants of GodAllahYHWH.

Unquote

Thanks

Does this mean I won’t have to pick up my socks anymore?

The Saducees who did not believe in the resurrection asked Jesus about the case of a woman whose husband died, after which she remarried. And who in fact remarried seven times when her husbands died one after the other. Who is her husband in heaven they asked then? Jesus told these men that in the resurrection people “neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven”(Mt 22:23-30). Offhand, I would like to have my wife as my wife in heaven, but I presume that then I will see the good and sense of this perfectly.

There is some tradition in the Eastern Churches that marriage in some form persists after death. It’s a bit murky, as you can see from this thread:
Melkite Marriage: Heavenly?

Br. Rich SFO - how about this? :

CCC 1638 :: From a valid marriage arises a bond between the spouses which by its very nature is perpetual and exclusive; furthermore, in a Christian marriage the spouses are strengthened and, as it were, consecrated for the duties and the dignity of their state by a special sacrament.

And as to this:

does that mean, mdgspencer, that existing marriages will be cancelled?

This reminds me of the old joke about the engaged couple who are killed the night before their wedding. They arrive at the Pearly Gates and St Peter notices they are unhappy. He asks why. They tell him they are in love, and ask if they can get married in heaven. St Peter tells them this is an unusual request and will get back to them.

6 months later St Peter sees them and tells them he has it all arranged if they still want to marry. They do.

A year later they seek out St Peter, tell him they made a mistake and ask if they can get a divorce in heaven. Poor St Peter rolls his eyes and says: “It took us 6 months to get a priest so you could marry - who knows how long it will take to get two lawyers and a judge to divorce you!!”

OK bad joke, but couldn’t resist

wedding vows are taken “till death due us part” there is no marrage in heaven in the sacramental sense of a joining of a man and a woman(two humans), rather in a spiritual sense we are all married to God. This is why we have both married people and celibacy for the kingdom people, married people show us the loving relationship that awaits us while celibates point to who that relationship is with.

I don’t know if you could use the word cancelled. The question Jesus was asked still remains. What of a woman who married 8 times after each of her earlier husbands died? If marriage exists in heaven, who is her husband in heaven? Also, the remark made here earlier remains. If people are still married in heaven, what of someone who remarries after their spouse dies? If there is marriage in heaven, does the person commit some sort of bigamy thebn? What happens when a marrie person goes to heaven could be for example like turning a light off, which no longer exists then.

“For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.” (Matthew 22:29-30).

This was Jesus’ own response to those who put a question about seven brothers who each, in turn, married the same woman and whose wife she would be in heaven. Angels traditionally are without gender, so definitely don’t marry!

I think we can take it from Him then that marriage doesn’t exist in heaven. As has been pointed out already, it doesn’t even exist on earth after death - the vows are ‘till death do us part’.

The book you recite from is not inspired by god. It has sources other than god for its existence. WIth that in mind Marriage is an earthly insititution. Christians honor our GOd by recognizing that his heavenly paradise is above the earthly institution of Marriage. We will all be drawn into the beatific vision in unity with God…

My parents were married for 27 years. Then, my mother died of ovarian cancer. She went 11 months after she was diagnosed. My father cringes every time he hears the Gospel passage that has been repeatedly referenced. He loved my mother very much and still believes, in his heart, that they will remain married in heaven.

Brother Rich, I understand that the marriage bond is broken by death. Heck, that’s why remarriages for widows and widowers are allowed. But, how do you explain this to a man who goes to the cemetery every day and still wears his wedding ring?

Part of me thinks that Jesus told this parable to the Sadducees to get them to see that their whole line of thinking was plain ridiculous. But, Jesus’ words are crystal clear about marriage in other sections of the Gospel. The Church bases her doctrine on marriage precisely from Jesus’ words regarding divorce to the point that parties in an invalid marriage are not allowed to fully participate in the sacramental life of the Church until their situations are resolved.

But, back to the OP. My dad, as a widower who still grieves for my mother after nearly 14 years, still firmly believes that they will be reunited in heaven. What do you say to someone in his situation?

I don’t know if this is correct (and I am not Br. Rich), but I will offer a possible response. You could tell your father that will certainly be reunited with his wife (or more correctly his former wife) in heaven. Even though they will not be reunited in the bond of matrimony, they will be even more perfectly united to each other through God and the beatific vision they share. Their union will be even greater, even more spiritually rich, and even more complete than two humans could ever have during their earthly life.

Prayers for your father and for your mother,

SC

They’ll be together, absolutely. They’ll share a bond in sharing in the Beatific Vision, as conjoined parts of the Body of Christ, that will be greater than anything they shared on Earth, married or not. :getholy:

They won’t be married because they won’t NEED to be married - what they’ll share in heaven will make marriage look like nothing :thumbsup:

Thank you, guys, for your kind words. I just cannot refer to my mother as my father’s former wife, as a previous post suggested, because he would consider it hurtful, and, it would be as though they were divorced.

He still very much believes that they remain married. That’s why he wears his weddnig ring, even 14 years after my mother’s death. He goes to the cemetery every day and, from time to time, decorates her grave with lots of flowers. He does not want to remarry.

I suppose we don’t truly understand what a husband or wife goes through when their spouse dies. That is why Gospel accounts like the one mentioned in several posts have to carefully be explained so that the grieving party won’t have a strong reaction.

I will recommend reading Father Cantalamessa’s take on this for your consideration and hope it will be of benefit and consolation.

ewtn.com/library/Marriage/zmarrheavn.HTM

Could anybody of you, defenders of the theory that marriage does not exist in heaven, comment on this fragment of Catechism of the Catholic Church? :

CCC 1638 :: From a valid marriage arises a bond between the spouses which by its very nature is perpetual and exclusive; furthermore, in a Christian marriage the spouses are strengthened and, as it were, consecrated for the duties and the dignity of their state by a special sacrament.

I can see the words “perpetual” and “exclusive” here.

Perhaps we should ask remarring people of what they are doing. This is their problem. I am not one of them.

I do not know if it is possible to remarry. And if so, then yes, I would think this is kind of poligamy - at least in the case your spouse goes to Heaven. Though that spouse is ALIVE, even more fully than he/she was here on earth. How could you close your eyes and say “no no no, she is… somewhere, I do not care” and remarry?

If she is in heaven then it means she is right next to you, I think. What happens to your relationship then if you remarry?

The bond your parents will have in heaven will be greater than anything they experienced here. Your father will realize this on that day he is called.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.