Marriage in the afterlife

What happens with your marriage on earth in heaven? Is it continued or is your relationship the same as with anyone else in heaven? What about kids and friends? What you guys think? What does the catholic church say about that too?

[quote=Polska]What happens with your marriage on earth in heaven? Is it continued or is your relationship the same as with anyone else in heaven? What about kids and friends? What you guys think? What does the catholic church say about that too?
[/quote]

Marraige is a temporary Sacrament. In heaven we all love eachother according to our love for God. This is expressed by Christ when he says that in heaven none are married or given in marriage.

I think Jesus summed this up best:

Matthew 25
*23: The same day Sad’ducees came to him, who say that there is no resurrection; and they asked him a question,
24: saying, "Teacher, Moses said, `If a man dies, having no children, his brother must marry the widow, and raise up children for his brother.'
25: Now there were seven brothers among us; the first married, and died, and having no children left his wife to his brother.
26: So too the second and third, down to the seventh.
27: After them all, the woman died.
28: In the resurrection, therefore, to which of the seven will she be wife? For they all had her."
29: But Jesus answered them, "You are wrong, because you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God.
30: For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. *

[quote=IanS]I think Jesus summed this up best:

Matthew 25
*23: The same day Sad’ducees came to him, who say that there is no resurrection; and they asked him a question, *
*24: saying, “Teacher, Moses said, `If a man dies, having no children, his brother must marry the widow, and raise up children for his brother.’ *
*25: Now there were seven brothers among us; the first married, and died, and having no children left his wife to his brother. *
*26: So too the second and third, down to the seventh. *
*27: After them all, the woman died. *
*28: In the resurrection, therefore, to which of the seven will she be wife? For they all had her.” *
*29: But Jesus answered them, "You are wrong, because you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God. *
*30: For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. *
[/quote]

And this is why celibate religious are kind of living in a Heaven on earth :thumbsup:

This is sort of hard for me - I know that all of our relationships will be perfected in heaven and we will not question our happiness in the least. But . . . We are granted an opportunity for true love in marriage while on earth. I chose my husband over any other and will love him only for the duration of my life and the same with him for me. So, why would our afterlife not also be spent celebrating an even more glorified and pure example of our love as shown through Christ? It can be sad to think that this man that I love so much will not have any distinction over the others that I will “hopefully” share heaven with? I just cannot quite put my head around that.

[quote=crobynb]This is sort of hard for me - I know that all of our relationships will be perfected in heaven and we will not question our happiness in the least. But . . . We are granted an opportunity for true love in marriage while on earth. I chose my husband over any other and will love him only for the duration of my life and the same with him for me. So, why would our afterlife not also be spent celebrating an even more glorified and pure example of our love as shown through Christ? It can be sad to think that this man that I love so much will not have any distinction over the others that I will “hopefully” share heaven with? I just cannot quite put my head around that.
[/quote]

Because in heaven that same love will not be exclusive but extended to all the blessed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.