Marriage outside catholic church is considered an invalid marriage?

Ok I just found out that any marriage outside the catholic church is not valid ! Furthermore if you were married previously and got a divorce, but at the time were not catholic then that marriage does not count. It is therefore not considered a marriage under the church and the catholics strong position on divorce does not apply to that situation.

So a protestant could have three divorces, but would still be allowed to remarry in the catholic church without any animosity from the church. Those were not valid marriages in their eyes therefore they do not count as divorce and in the catholic church’s eyes they have never been married.

However if a catholic married under the catholic church wants a divorce, oh boy that is way more sinful then that Protestant who has already had three divorces.

Why are the catholic laws on marriage so jacked up?

It is only when a Catholic does not marry
either 1, in the Sacrament of Matrimony in the Church,
or 2, marries without a dispensation, is the marriage invalid. Of course there are other impediments that make marriage invalid but you weren’t discussing them.

A marriage between Protestants or unbelievers is considered valid, as they are not subject to the laws of the Catholic Church. Therefore, if they became Catholic they would require annulment if they wished to re-marry.

That is, the invalidity comes from a Catholic not doing what a Catholic should do!

If you are Catholic then you are commited to the laws of the Church. If a Catholic’s marriage is invalid and the Catholic wishes to remain in the marriage and to return to the Church, then the couple could either have a ceremony or convalidation to validate the marriage.

The rules are as they are because of Jesus’ teaching about marriage and divorce. The Church takes Him seriously.

Well I know of at least someone I know who did not need an annulment to remarry in the church. They had been married before in a Protestant church.

So would this mean a Justice of the Peace would not count as a valid marriage and therefore if that person divorced and wished to marry in catholic church and annulment would not be needed?

To the OP, So let me get this strait, you hear about a friends marriage and with out all the details you bash the Catholic church on a Catholic forum about what you think is Catholic Doctrine. Well I guess that shouldn’t surprise me since it’s what Protestant 's have always done. :thumbsup:

You need to seek a new source of information, because whoever told you this nonsense is completely misinformed.

The requirement to be married in the Catholic form applies only to Catholics. The Catholic Church recognizes non-Catholic marriages as valid.

This is also untrue.

This is also untrue.

This is also untrue.

Not true.

Not true.

From whom did you “find” this out? It is not the Catholic marriage laws that are “so jacked up” but rather your source of information.

You do not know anything at all.

No. It does not mean that.

The Catholic Church recognizes civil marriages of non-Catholics as valid.

Out of curiosity, since we are talking about marriage, my father was Catholic and was married outside of the Church. My mother is Protestant. Does this make their marriage invalid?

It is possible for a Catholic to receive a dispensation from the Catholic form and marry validly in a non-Catholic cermony following certain procedures required by the Church. So, if your father did so, the marriage would be valid.

Without such permission, it’s invalid.

Thanks!

I don’t know where you’re getting your information, but you need to find a new source. This is completely opposite the Catholic understanding of marriage.

well origionally I thought my mother got an annullment, but she told me it turned out one was not needed. Since she was married in a protestant church and was not catholic at the time it did not count. The catholic church views the previous marriage as invalid and therefore an annullment was not needed. She told me annulments are only necessary if you marry in the catholic church.

that is not true, unless you are Catholic.
the rest of your post also has several mis-statements. might want to get to the catechism section on the sacrament of marriage, and the us bishop’s new site on marriage, and get the real deal (usccb.org) before entering into discussion on this topic.

Well then explain to me how come my mother’s previous marriage was ignored then because she was not a catholic then?

She was a protestant then and acording to her she did not need an annullment to remarry since she was not married in a catholic church.

Actually, for a mixed marriage, i.e. a marriage between a Catholic and a non-Catholic Christian, permission is needed.

For a disparity of cult, i.e. marriage between a Catholic and a non-Christian, a dispensation is needed.

Lovely climate on this thread. Why don’t we see if we can bash the OP a little more? :rolleyes:

There may have been reasons for you mother not to need an annulment; but just the fact that she was Protestant at the time of the first marriage does not necessarily mean she wouldn’t need an annulment.

But we weren’t talking about what was needed to marry a non-Catholic but rather what was required to be married somewhere other than in a Catholic Church. A dispensation from canonical form is required for such a marriage to be presumed valid.

Ah.

I have no idea, and “according to her” is not Catholic teaching. We do not know all the circumstances, only the canon law tribunal in their investigation can uncover all the circumstances and make a judgement, on any individual case, on a canon law issue.

to take one individual case, in which we do not even know the details, and make a blanket statement, is ludicrous and bound to lead to error.

the Catholic teaching is that marriages between non-Catholics are valid until proven otherwise, assuming both are otherwise free to marry and are capable and willing to give full consent. If either party is Catholic, that person is further bound by Catholic law on marriage: may not marry a non-Catholic w/o a dispensation, must have the marriage witnessed by a priest or deacon etc.

What happened to your mom, my aunt, the guy on TV is irrelevant to any other individual situation. EAch case is unique, which is why anyone who has ever been married and divorced, and now wishes to marry a Catholic, must submit the facts about their prior marriage to the Catholic canon law tribunal for investigation and judgement.

You may care to search on the liturgy and sacraments forum, where this discussion belongs, for many, many threads with good links on this topic.

simply untrue
Catholic canon law holds that all marriages between non-Catholics are valid until proven otherwise. Judging the validity of a marriage is not a matter of judging who is sinning and who is not sinning, it is a matter of judging who was free to marry and who married with all the conditions required for a valid marriage. Someone who has been married before is NOT free to marry again unless and until the validity of the first marriage has been investigated and the marriage has been declared null (never happened because the conditions were not there).

Two baptized non-CAtholics who marry, assuming they are free to do so, are not only validly married, but sacramentally married, and are not free to remarry should they divorce.

What was the religion of the man she married?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.