Marriage outside of the church

I was just married by a JP,what do I have to do to get my marriage blessed by the church.Thanks

Go to your local Catholic parish and ask to speak to the priest there. He should be able to explain to you the process of getting your marriage blessed. Just so you know, by being married by a JP you have put yourself out of the Church - so - this process of getting your marriage blessed will also involve your coming back into full communion with the Church because right now you are not. That should not be a reason to despair either, the Church really makes this possible for you to come back. Does your spouse know you want to do this? That might be a good thing that they know before you contact your parish - just so you are all on the same page. So … anyways, I’ve rambled … go to your parish and they will get it started.

Understand that as a Catholic, you are required to marry according to the laws of the Church. See your Priest, go to Confession and live as brother & sister until you can be married.

This my first post lsu so here goes!

JG77 pretty much sums it up:

Go to your local Catholic parish and ask to speak to the priest there

Another thing to check out is - has there been any prior marriages? This will help sort out things when you meet the priest.

I differ from kage-ar in thinking that you aren’t under an obligation “to live as brother and sister” as there is no sin against temperance involved - rather it is a matter of obedience to a church precept. Perhaps there is some other reason that I am unaware of though.

Any way good luck - I hope it all goes well. (You get to think about a guest list all over as well as give a simple but powerful witness to your faith).

This is an invalid marriage therefor any sexual relations would be fornication (or adultery if there were any other marriages involved that we haven’t been told about) . Fornication is grave matter.

I concur with Kage_ar. Make an appointment to speak with your priest, seriously reflect on disobeying church law and possibly moral law and yes live as brother and sister. I will add confession as soon as the priest thinks it is prudent.

Disagree (totally) I am afraid. Sexual ethics has nothing to do with it. The containment of sex within marriage is not a matter of Church discipline - it is a matter of right reason. That containment (assuming no prior marriage) has already happened. There is simply no sexual sin in the book that they can be committing.

A quick look at the CCC will show that continence is required after an invalid remarriage - for example you marry in church you leave your spouse and remarry . In that situation you must remain continent if you are to return to full communion because sex is deemed adulterous in such a marriage.

When they go to church they will not be married at the church. Their marriage will be regularised. or “blessed” as it has been called. A marriage between two consenting adults who have not previously been married will be deemed to have been valid since the exchange of vows - not since the date of the regularisation.

(Marriage is not bestowed by the Church but by the marriage partners - they give the sacrament - the church will simply be satisfying itself that a true marriage has already been entered into).

Sorry, but you’re wrong. When they go to the church their marriage is not ‘blessed’ but ‘convalidated’: it requires them to exchange consent again (say their vows) and their marriage becomes valid at that precise moment. Canon Law is clear on that.

Can. 1160 A marriage which is null because of defect of form must be contracted anew in canonical form in order to become valid, without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 1127, §2.

For the marriage to be deemed valid from the time of the original vows they would require a radical sanation, something which is only done for serious reasons.

But that “nullity” cannot produce a sexual sin - a sin, in effect, of post-marital sex. It is a defect - it is not equivalent to the non-existence of a marriage. It is a nullity with regard to form and precept.

Its defect of form needs to be rectified. The bit went wrong is this - the sacrament was given without a witness from the church. You rectify that by getting it witnessed by the church. Sins against temperance aren’t involved.

Its defect is not sexual incontinence so sexual continence cannot rectify it.

The church will assume the validity of any civil marriage if seeking to marry someone who has been married civilly.

Convalidation means there is something pre-existent - otherwise what is the other part to the validation? What is the church addding its validation to?

What sexual sin is being committed?

Just like with any marriage, the couple must have the proper capacity, knowledge, and intention for entering into marriage. They also must be giving their consent freely. The fact that they have been living together for a period of time does not necessarily mean that they understand what Christian marriage is or that they are freely choosing it. Once their marriage takes place in the Church, they will have a new relationship with the Christian community. It would be good to explore this aspect of their relationship further.
The other thing that happens in a convalidation is that the partners are bound to each other in a different way. This, too, needs to be explored with the couple.
It will also be necessary to explain to the couple that this is their one, true marriage. The other exchange of consent established something like marriage, but it is this marriage in the Lord that creates a true marriage bond.
Some other areas you might want to explore are:
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]What were the events leading up to their marriage outside the Church?
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]What contributed to their decision not to marry in the Church, but to marry elsewhere?
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]How would they describe their marriage up to this point? Have there been any major arguments or break-ups? Were there any instances of infidelity? Were there any instances of physical abuse or substance abuse?
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]If they have children, how would they describe themselves and how would they describe each other as parents?
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]If they already have children, are they being raised in the Catholic faith?
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]If they already have children, you will also need to explore issues regarding an intention against having more children. When couples convalidate their marriage, they must have the same intention as any other couple entering into marriage; that is, to enter into a faithful, fruitful, abiding relationship.
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]Explore the issues of permanence, since this will be a commitment to a permanent relationship. Their marriage outside the Church was not necessarily a commitment to a permanent relationship, since the state gives both parties the right to end the marriage at any time.
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]What made them decide to enter into marriage in the Church? Were there any external factors present in their decision, such as parental pressure, the birth of a child, problems in the relationship that they believe “God’s blessing” will cure, etc.?
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]What do they think will be different about their relationship after their Church marriage?

Some ask if their were previous marriage,yes from both of us,he was married by the jp,i was married by a pentecostal preacher.

Are you both Catholic? If you are and neither one had dispensation to get married outside the Church, then it’s a simple matter of paperwork.

If you had a dispensation to marry outside the Church or one of you is not Catholic, then that will require petitioning for a decree of nullity (an annulment) which you may or may not get.


What sexual sin is being committed?


Wrong. Their is no carnal incontinence involved. Sexual sin is a matter of right reason. The Church is clear about this.

But now the question I asked lsu has been answered a wee bit of paperwork is going to sort it all anyway.


As I said - Have a great day.

And don’t forget to get ashed.

When I was got married in 96 I was not Catholic. He was catholic when he was married by the jp.

So you would have to petition for a decree of nullity (unless you married a Catholic that time too). His, unless he had taken the necessary steps to get a dispensation, would likely be invalid due to lack of form and that’s a simple question of submitting the right paperwork (all relevant certificates/divorce decrees).

Was this marriage law written by man or it’s in the bible?

As a Catholic, you know that the Bible came from the Church. There is no Church law that contradicts Scripture.

Jesus was very clear in the Gospels on the teaching about divorce and remarriage.

Your Priest will explain it all to you when you meet with him.

So what if you take RCIA to become a Catholic and your spouse is non-catholic. You cannot force your spouse to become catholic or get blessed. Are you still in communion?

Were either of you married before?

This is something you discuss with your Pastor at the start of the RCIA process.

Assuming you were both free to marry (not bound by a prior marriage), neither of you were Catholic (even non-practicing) - then, your marriage would be considered valid by the Catholic Church.

If either of you did have a prior marriage or was Catholic who married outside the Church, the tribunal would need to investigate.

No, neither of us was married previously or were practicing, confirmed or baptised Catholic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit