Marriage Outside of the Church

My wife and I were married in a Protestant marriage before I even considered coming into the Church. Is this marriage valid? If not, what can we do about it?

You need to clarify a couple of things before your question can be answered properly.

You indicate you were married in a Protestant church. Were either you or your wife married before? Were either you or your wife baptized into the Catholic Church prior to your marriage?

If you are considering converting to the Catholic Church, then you should consult with a priest about your marriage situation. He will be in the best position to advise you. If this is the first marriage for you and your wife, then there should not be a problem, but check with the priest to be sure.

Generally, the Catholic Church recognizes the marriage of two non-Catholic, baptized Christians to be both valid and sacramental. However, the particular circumstances of your marriage might make yours an exception to the general rule. So, it’s best to discuss the matter with your priest.

Hi ZJackson,

If you’d like to clarify, feel free, otherwise this post is correct, you’re best to speak with your priest about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.