Marriage prep materials

We are a sponsor couple at our parish and are going to start working with a new couple in a couple of weeks.

She is Methodist; he Catholic. As we have not yet met, I do not know how strongly each holds his faith.

What I do know is that the text we use, *For Better & For Ever, *is at best, woefully inadequate.

Can anyone suggest a better program, or if you were preparing a couple for marriage, what would you give them as reading material, esp. considering the conflicts in a mixed marriage?

I am thinking about Humane Vitae to start with, but maybe with a commentary. Does anyone know of one.

I also like *Good News about Sex and Marriage *(West). I want these people (they are in late 20’s, so not kids) to know something about the beauty of Catholic teaching on marriage, and not just sex.

Thanks for the help!

Do you mean Gregory Popcak’s “For Better… Forever!”? I love that book!

I would suggest “Three to Get Married” by Archbishop Fulton Sheen. :thumbsup:

I don’t do marriage prep, so I am no expert. While I would not shy away from Humanae Vitae, I don’t know that I would start there. I suspect I would start with West.

Fr. Leo is doing his next talk on marriage in the 2006 Lenten Retreat. Make sure and check in.

[quote=whiteyacht]Do you mean Gregory Popcak’s “For Better… Forever!”? I love that book!

I would suggest “Three to Get Married” by Archbishop Fulton Sheen. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

The Marriage prep book is not Popcak’s. It is by Fr. Rob Ruhnke. He is a good enough speaker, but I think this text relies too much on the psychological aspects of marriage and not enough on the spiritual, though there are sections on prayer and worship. I didn’t know about the Popcak book; I will definitely check it out. I love his stuff.

And thanks for the Bishop Sheen recommendation. I had thought of that, too, but couldn’t remember the title.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.