Marriage/Relationships in Scripture

I’m the only Catholic in a Bible study among Protestants and for this week we were asked to bring an example of a good and a bad marriage/relationship in the Bible and elaborate on them. Does anyone have any particularly Catholic examples I can use?

I was thinking about using Mary/God as the good example and Eve/Adam as the bad example but was wondering if there were any more clever ones that had a Catholic spin on them. Thank you for your help.

My personal fave: Ephesians 5: 22-33
The marriage of Christ and the Church. Particularly Catholic in that the husband has priesthood responsibilities towards his wife. Specifically, sacrifice of self for her (exactly what Adam, who stood idly by didn’t do, in his priestly role.)

How about Herod and Herodias or the Samaritan woman and her 5 husbands as the bad examples and Mary and Joseph or Sarah and Abraham as good examples?

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by ‘Catholic examples’. Mary wasn’t married to God or Jesus…and her marriage to Joseph ‘after the Fact’ might be problematic.

My favorite marriage in the Bible, even though it is a 2nd marriage for the king, is: Esther, born Hadassah, Jewish queen of the Persian king Ahasuerus. King Ahasuerus appears to have genuinely loved Esther - showing favor to her even when others could have called it weakness. And though King Ahasuerus didn’t judge the character of Haman very well, he wasn’t too pround to admit his mistake and correct it when new information came to light. Esther was wise as well as courageous.

Here is an account of Isaac & Rebekah that might fit for your class and even mentions:

“Through the marriage of Isaac and Rebekah, Abraham saw that day of Christ in which the church should become the Bride of Christ.”

biblegateway.com/resources/all-women-bible/Rebekah-Rebecca

For the unfavorable marriage, Queen Jezebel and King Ahab are rather impressive. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.