Marriage Sacrament question

Situation: Catholic man marries a non-baptized woman with dispensation of the bishop.

Now the woman is converting to the Catholic faith. Will their marriage now be automatically considered a Sacramental marriage? Or do they need to have a priest “re-marry” them so to speak.

How would this work if their marriage was NOT within the CC but they were married in a non-denominational ceremony? What should they do no that the woman is converting and they want to be within the Church and raise their children in the Faith?

I am not certain how to work this out correctly with Canon Law.

Thank you!

Yes, upon her baptism the marriage becomes a sacrament. It is currently a valid, natural marriage.

No.

I don’t understand this question.

Thank you 1ke.

What I meant by the second part is this:

If a Catholic man marries a non-baptized woman in a ceremony outside of the CC.
Now, the wife is converting and will be Baptized. They want their marriage to be a Sacramental marriage. What steps are necessary?

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

They would first convalidate the marriage, and then she would be received into the Church.

If they got married in a non-denominational ceremony without a dispensation from canonical form from the Bishop, their marriage is invalid and they would have to have a convalidation (a marriage in the Church).

If they had a dispensation from the bishop to get married in the non-denominational church then their marriage is valid and becomes a sacrament as soon as she’s baptized.

Thank you!
:slight_smile:

I just recently went through this situation. I was raised Catholic and had not been practicing for a few years. My wife (who was raised Lutheran) got married in a Lutheran Church. Since I was not practicing at the time I was not aware that I needed to get permission from the Church to get married in a Lutheran Church.

We just recently had our first son and we decided we want to raise him Catholic and my wife wanted to convert to Catholic. We found a great church and started going every Sunday. We met with the priest and he said that for our marriage to be valid, we would have to get married again in the Catholic church. We ended up getting re-married on the same day that our son was baptized and my wife is now going through RCIA.

God bless your family! That is truly inspirational!

Thank you! The two will have to have a convalidation. It is a friend of mine. We had a great conversation about this - she is going to try to get the convalidation ceremony scheduled for October which will be their 7th wedding anniversary.

yes. no further action needed

How would this work if their marriage was NOT within the CC but they were married in a non-denominational ceremony? What should they do no that the woman is converting and they want to be within the Church and raise their children in the Faith?

I am not certain how to work this out correctly with Canon Law.

which is it? the Catholic party did or did not follow Church law on marriage? now you have me confused. Either he did or he did not. If he did not, then the marriage must be convalidated before the woman can complete her sacramental initiation.

Thank you!

The Catholic man received the dispensation of the bishop to marry a non-baptized woman, but he should have received at the same time, a dispensation to marry in a non-Catholic ceremony.

If both of these dispensations were received then the marriage they are in now is valid, and it will be sacramental when she is baptized. They are not living in sin, and there will not be a convalidation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.