Marriage, Sex, and annulment

So here's just a general question that popped into my mind.

According to my old Catholic priest, annulment occurs when a couple did not have the sacrificial requirements at the time of marriage to partake of the sacrament validly. Thus, the Church can rule that the sacrament was not effective, and the "marriage" never actually took place.

I understand that part, but then what about all the things that happened during the marriage? For example, if the couple was not actualy married, wouldn't they be guilty of fornication or adultery by having extra-marital sex (as that's the only thing we can call it if they were never married) ?

Just a quick question

If they believed their marriage to be valid, they would not be guilty of the sin of fornication; they thought they were married.

If there were indeed a defect at the beginning which prevented the marriage from being contracted validly, they ought to try to remove that defect, and have their marriage convalidated.

That's my understanding. There are others on the forum more knowledgeable of canon law in this matter.

[quote="Taurks, post:1, topic:305356"]

According to my old Catholic priest, annulment occurs when a couple did not have the sacrificial requirements at the time of marriage to partake of the sacrament validly. Thus, the Church can rule that the sacrament was not effective, and the "marriage" never actually took place.

I understand that part, but then what about all the things that happened during the marriage? For example, if the couple was not actualy married, wouldn't they be guilty of fornication or adultery by having extra-marital sex (as that's the only thing we can call it if they were never married) ?

Just a quick question

[/quote]

No, because they were acting on the assumption that their marriage was valid. To be culpable for sin you have to know that you're sinning.

[quote="Taurks, post:1, topic:305356"]

Just a quick question

[/quote]

It is never known for certain if any marriage is valid, rather it is presumed to be valid, based upon the approval of the Church with the assumption that the couple are not lying. The Church has to do what it can to ensure that no error or misunderstanding exists prior to the celebration. Since it is believed to be valid, there is no public fornication if it is found later to be invalid provided there was no deceit. If there was deceit, even though validly celebrated, any liar would be guilty even before a declaration of invalidity.

The only exception to this is say if the couple knowingly married invalidly such as entered marriage by a civil ceremony when one or both were baptized Catholic. However, even in a case like this there is still a matter of culpability due to poor catechesis, etc. It is shocking even today to know how many people do not know that it is their duty to marry in the Church.

[quote="joanofarc2008, post:5, topic:305356"]
The only exception to this is say if the couple knowingly married invalidly such as entered marriage by a civil ceremony when one or both were baptized Catholic. However, even in a case like this there is still a matter of culpability due to poor catechesis, etc. It is shocking even today to know how many people do not know that it is their duty to marry in the Church.

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure everyone knows you're supposed to get married in Church, unless you live in North Korea or something.

If Catholics intentionally marry outside the Church (not forced by gov't or something) they are fornicating unless and until they are married in the Church.

God Bless

[quote="bilop, post:6, topic:305356"]
I'm pretty sure everyone knows you're supposed to get married in Church, unless you live in North Korea or something.

If Catholics intentionally marry outside the Church (not forced by gov't or something) they are fornicating unless and until they are married in the Church.

God Bless

[/quote]

OK, go ahead and ask a couple of kids whose parents aren't practicing and aren't bringing them to Church where they should get married. They were probably baptized in Church but not raised in it and not formed in it. It does lower their culpability.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.