marriage

I have a niece who wants to be married in the Catholic Church (she is a confirmed Catholic), but is in the unfortunate position of being pregnant and is concerned that her parish priest will not perform the ceremony. Is a priest under any obligation to perform a marriage in this situation?

No. He is not forced to marry her.

[quote=favoriteaunt]I have a niece who wants to be married in the Catholic Church (she is a confirmed Catholic), but is in the unfortunate position of being pregnant and is concerned that her parish priest will not perform the ceremony. Is a priest under any obligation to perform a marriage in this situation?
[/quote]

No, the priest is not obliged to marry a person simply because of pregnancy. He will probably suggest a low-key celebration.

Deacon Ed

[quote=favoriteaunt]I have a niece who wants to be married in the Catholic Church (she is a confirmed Catholic), but is in the unfortunate position of being pregnant and is concerned that her parish priest will not perform the ceremony. Is a priest under any obligation to perform a marriage in this situation?
[/quote]

Different pastors might react differently. My pastor would be so happy that she was getting married that he might pay for part of the reception.

Deacon Tony

A friend of ours living in southern CA at the time, had to go to Northern CA to find a catholic parish to conduct the marriage ceremony because she was pregnant at the time. The dioceses in the south wouldn’t do it until after the baby was born, but the one in the north said ok.

That’s when I first caught wind of why there are so many confused Catholics in the US. No wonder we lose so many to protestantism.

Personally, I was very relieved she was able to be married in the Church early in the pregnancy. She and hubby are still happily married 16 years later and have had 3 more children. They go to mass regularly, are involved in their parish activities and religious education programs, and are doing a fine job raising their children in the faith.

[quote=Deacon Tony560]Different pastors might react differently. My pastor would be so happy that she was getting married that he might pay for part of the reception.

Deacon Tony
[/quote]

:blessyou:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.