Marriage

Have to retype...

I'll make it shorter this time, I guess. This site (vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a6.htm) says that polygamy is a grave sin. My question is that, if my guy and I marry, is anything else that might happen if he pursues polygamy still a grave sin?

We were together a few months ago, but I ended things because it was clear that he wasn't going to give me a ring at all (no sign of commitment). It's maddening how, now, he tells me that he'll do everything that I felt was wrong in our relationship, but then he says "but I want a big family". :-/

[quote="MonicaR, post:1, topic:325270"]
...My question is that, if my guy and I marry, is anything else that might happen if he pursues polygamy still a grave sin?

[/quote]

Polygamy is always a grave sin.

If you marry him and then he "marries" another woman as well without your consent, then only he will be the only one committing the grave sin. But if you marry him and think that there is some good chance that he will "marry" another woman, and you think, "I really like him, and although I think it would gravely sinful, I could live in that situation," then you would at a minimum you would be sinning. I can't tell you if it would be venial or grave sin, but I would really think hard about this before going further.

I don’t understand what you are asking.

Are you thinking that by him saying that he wants a big family that he wants multiple wives? Or did he say he wants to have multiple wives. Or are you misunderstanding what polygamy is?

Usually, what people mean by "I want a big family" means that they want to have many kids.

I'm just trying to understand your situation.

If you're certain that this man will indeed marry another while married to you and/or have sex with multiple women while married to you, DO NOT MARRY THIS MAN! If you're thinking that "I want a big family" means multiple wives, DO NOT MARRY THIS MAN! If you just misunderstood and he wants lots of children, maybe marry this man. But honestly, it sounds like the discernment of marriage is only in its infancy and neither of you should approach this just yet.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.