Married as a Catholic but wife wants to get baptized in Pentecostal Church? What will happen to our matrimony?

We are married in Catholic church. What will happen to our marriage/matrimony if my wife get baptized in Pentecostal church?

0 Likes

Nothing - you are married in the eyes of the Church

6 Likes

Your marriage may become sacramental instead of natural. Some of the Pentecostal communities
have valid baptism, others do not.

0 Likes

Is she baptised and if yes in which church? If she has not been baptised, it is a totally different issue than if she already is baptised and a member of a church. If Catholic, then she needs to learn more about baptism as it is only done once in a persons life.

0 Likes

Not yet but she wants to because they believe that adult baptism is necessary to feel the holy spirit and most of the people around her are Pentecostal people, she is working abroad in Oman. I told her about one time baptism but she said it is different from infant baptism. We don’t have yet the reasoning that we already have the holy spirit in our infant baptism.

1 Like

Suggest she go and talk to a local Catholic priest. To reject her valid Catholic baptism is a big deal.

2 Likes

The Pentecostal movement began in a Catholic environment. If the Pentecostal experience will benefit the wife, in the sense of spiritual wakefulness, then I don’t know what is wrong with that.

0 Likes

Actually, the Pentecostal Movement began in California at the Azusa Street revival of 1906.

It moved into Catholic circles in the 1960’s

https://www.osv.com/OSVNewsweekly/ByIssue/Article/TabId/735/ArtMID/13636/ArticleID/21900/Charismatic-renewal-movement-turns-50.aspx

You might also want to research the “Toronto Blessing”.

4 Likes

Perhaps the Pentecostal movement has a diverse history on different continents, but it is actively embracing youth. The main thing is that this movement does not go into the jungle of different false sciences, and if the pastor compares his experience in the main points with the Catholic teaching, then all is not so bad. The main thing is that hedonism, pragmatism, anti-child menthality, wealthy-theology, feeling-based-God’s voices would not embrace these movements.

0 Likes

I think we need a little more in the way of explanation here

1. are you a practicing Catholic ? - were you baptised and had made your First Communion and had been Confirmed before being married in the Catholic Church.

2. was your present wife also a practicing Catholic , having been Baptised, and made her First Communion and been Confirmed before she was joined to you in marriage in the Catholic Church ?

3. has she now decided to leave the Catholic Church and become a Christian in the Pentecostal church by asking for baptism in that church ?

1 Like

All answer is yes.

0 Likes

Nothing besides your wife making a grave spiritual mistake.

3 Likes

Going into schism in order to embrace heresy is the literal opposite of “spiritual wakefulness.”

8 Likes

It seems you’re confusing terms here. I know you’re Ukrainian and English isn’t your mother tongue, so there’s both a cultural and linguistic divide we need to overcome.

The way you’re using “pentecostal movement” seems to me that you are meaning to say “charismatic movement.” There is a distinction.

The OP is not referring to his wife embracing a charismatic spirituality.

He is speaking of his wife leaving the Catholic Church to join a different “Pentecostal church.”

1 Like

Since you both baptized and married in the Catholic Church, you will always be married. Perhaps you should talk with a priest about this. You could always just ask him after mass.

Any problem would come just from your relationship. I don’t know what to say about this–I will pray for you.

2 Likes

Mkay, however, this is a place called “Catholic Answers”. I see that you are listed as Protestant, so, maybe start off here with a bit more respect wrt Catholic teachings.

1 Like

but it’s better to be a hot Pentecostal than a cold (formal, nominal, no practising) Catholic.

1 Like

I could agree with that.

1 Like

Untrue.
The didache specifies the formula for baptism.
This was written by the apostles themselves.

2 Likes

Actually, the Pentecostal Movement began from the Holiness Movement in the Appalachian region of the American South in 1896. I have nothing to add to the OP’s question.

D

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.