Married couple with questions

I am Baptized Catholic, My wife is a Baptized also, although not Catholic, she is interested in joining the Catholic church, what are our first steps? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Call your local parish and talk with the pastor or RCIA director.

RCIA, the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, is the usual way that adults enter the Church. There will be classes so that your wife can learn what the Catholic Church teaches and what it means to live as a Catholic, and there will be rites to mark her steps along the way.

Prayers and best wishes to both of you.

[quote="donini13, post:1, topic:181585"]
I am Baptized Catholic, My wife is a Baptized also, although not Catholic, she is interested in joining the Catholic church, what are our first steps? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

[/quote]

Glory be to God!!

This article might helps some

Becoming Catholic

Peace
James

[quote="SuscipeMeDomine, post:2, topic:181585"]
Call your local parish and talk with the pastor or RCIA director.

RCIA, the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, is the usual way that adults enter the Church. There will be classes so that your wife can learn what the Catholic Church teaches and what it means to live as a Catholic, and there will be rites to mark her steps along the way.

Prayers and best wishes to both of you.

[/quote]

I would encourage you to participate with your spouse while she goes through this process. I have found that most Catholics benefit greatly from a well done RCIA class. You will learn things that you did not know and you will be able to help your wife when she has questions. This will also strengthen your marriage. Be a part of the whole process and everybody will benefit, you , your spouse and your parish.

Yes, there is need to review the marriage status to assure you were both viewed free to marry before you married. If there is no marriage issues she would simply attend class ( 30-40 sessions) and have her sacraments conferred and that is it. If there are marriage issues you start the same but the marriage ministry works with you to resolve the marriage issues, which lengthens the time until sacraments are conferred.

hope that helps

Thank you ALL so much!

I need to get back into the church its been many years since i have visited, alot of things have came up in my life to question my faith, but a lot has happened lately for me to want to learn as much as i can to be in the church and put my faith in god, so if you were me, and my wife and my family, one child of 10 and one on the way in february, are trying to "restart" what would you do?

[quote="donini13, post:7, topic:181585"]
I need to get back into the church its been many years since i have visited, alot of things have came up in my life to question my faith, but a lot has happened lately for me to want to learn as much as i can to be in the church and put my faith in god, so if you were me, and my wife and my family, one child of 10 and one on the way in february, are trying to "restart" what would you do?

[/quote]

I'd make an appointment with the priest at the nearest parish and explain the situation. He can guide you to what types of programs they have for all of you . If you have not been married according to the laws of the church you will have some things to do . You will need to go to confession as soon as possible. You'll want to have the marriage convalidated if you need to do that. Start attending Mass immediately and keep going every Sunday. Do not receive communion until you speak with the priest and go to confession.

Aside from that I would start studying the Catechism of the Catholic Church( down below I've given you online links), Catholicism for Dummies is another simple to read easy to understand book.

Here's some links-

catholicscomehome.org/

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm

Most important thing of all- get on your knees everyday along and with your family and pray to God. Thank him for everything good in your lives, Praise him for being an awesome God, Ask him for your needs especially help and guidance with the journey.

just to let everyone know, we have started our annulment process, and have talked to our local priest about getting our son's baptized, one is 10 and the other is to be born at the end of february. my 10 year old will be able to start classes soon and hopefully both will be baptized at the same time. my wife will be able to start attending classes this fall, we are very excited about all this.

That's wonderful news! Prayers for your whole family.

[quote="donini13, post:9, topic:181585"]
just to let everyone know, we have started our annulment process, and have talked to our local priest about getting our son's baptized, one is 10 and the other is to be born at the end of february. my 10 year old will be able to start classes soon and hopefully both will be baptized at the same time. my wife will be able to start attending classes this fall, we are very excited about all this.

[/quote]

Praise God for All His percies.

Peace
James

Great news! As one who is in RCIA right now, I would HIGHLY encourage you to go through the classes with your wife. It will be a great learning experience for you both, and can strengthen your faith and also teach you your faith so that you can pass it on properly to your children.

God Bless.

That is the plan now, I want to go to the classes and re-learn everything, I am also reading a lot of material now, learning more than I ever did before. Any suggestions on books to read would be awesome.

What are the best Catholic Bibles out there? I don't even know where to begin??:confused:??

[quote="donini13, post:13, topic:181585"]
That is the plan now, I want to go to the classes and re-learn everything, I am also reading a lot of material now, learning more than I ever did before. Any suggestions on books to read would be awesome.

[/quote]

I think a good starting point would be some of Scott Hahn's books. The three I would start with would be:
1. Swear to God (about the sacraments)
2. The Lamb's Supper (about the mass and the Book of Revelation)
3. Hail Holy Queen (about Mary)

His writing style is very conversational and easy to digest, but very full of great information. It is a great building foundation to start the learning process. As to your question about the best Bible, that is a personal preference and I will let others answer that. But I would suggest checking your parish gift shop if you have one, or check with the director of the RCIA, they would be a great source. I would also HIGHLY encourage getting a copy of the Catechism. It is VERY useful.

[quote="donini13, post:1, topic:181585"]

[/quote]

Get your wife a login for this site!

You are in good company here - all are called to continually 'convert' back towards living Gods' will no matter what their 'status' is.

Beyond the advice already offered here, include in your seeking/search what it means to Consecrate your family to living the model of the Holy Family - and you will be richly rewarded!

May God bless you on your journey to faith!

YBIC,
GaryR.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.