Married couples and works of charity

Interesting thought I had today regarding personal requirements to do works of charity and such as a Christian and how being married affects that. To be more precise, my wife and I firmly believe that when we married we two became one with Christ (a marriage of three as it were). I believe this is straight forward Catholic teaching. So, in essence, at all times now when one of us does something charitable it benefits both of us vis a vis our Christian duties. For instance, I don’t do a whole lot of charitable things but my wife does, such as helping our homeless brother to appointments and taking him food, clothing, etc. and she helps others quite frequently. She does all this while I’m working which is why I’m not so involved. So my take is that those works of mercy and charity not only apply to her own salvation but to mine as well, since we two are one. I understand I should still be doing such works and acts myself but it would be comforting to know her acts apply to me as well.

Does that make sense? Is that the Catholic understanding?

Peace!

Simon

I’m not a scripture expert, but I know there’s a passage in one of Paul’s epistles about “We all have different gifts, but we are all members of one body.” I absolutely believe husbands share in “good works” of giving money to worthy organizations or groceries to the local food pantry, even if it’s the wife who writes the check or delivers the food. Hey, if my husband didn’t go to work everyday to earn a salary, I (stay-at-home mom) wouldn’t have any money to give away, now would I? So that sharing of “treasure” is yours, also.

There’s also “time” and “talent,” though. Do you watch the kids so your wife can do more hands-on, time-consuming volunteer work? Then that’s sharing your time, too. If you have any doubt that you share in your wife’s good works, then maybe you’re not giving yourself enough credit, or maybe the Spirit is calling you to do more sharing of your own “talent” serving others. That could be through parish or community ministries, but consider if you have kids, playing with them, helping them with homework, feeding them is serving others, too. God sure made the family the perfect growing place for us, because it’s so easy to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked, instruct the ignorant, counsel the doubtful, admonish the sinner, etc. with children around. :slight_smile: I figure the kids will grow up someday, and then I’ll have even more time and energy to minister to others outside the family.

I’m not a scripture expert, but I know there’s a passage in one of Paul’s epistles about “We all have different gifts, but we are all members of one body.” Don’t boast that your gifts are better than others’ gifts, and don’t beat yourself up that your gifts are not as good as others’ gifts. I’m way paraphrasing, but you get the idea.

I absolutely believe husbands share in the “good works” of giving money to worthy organizations or groceries to the local food pantry, even if it’s the wife who writes the check or delivers the food. Hey, if my husband didn’t go to work everyday to earn a salary, I (stay-at-home mom) wouldn’t have any money or food to give away, now would I? So that sharing of “treasure” is yours, also.

There’s also “time” and “talent,” though. Do you watch the kids so your wife can do more hands-on, time-consuming volunteer work? Then that’s sharing your time, too. If you have any doubt that you share in your wife’s good works, then maybe you’re not giving yourself enough credit, or maybe the Spirit is calling you to do more sharing of your own “talent” serving others. That could be through parish or community ministries, but consider if you have kids, playing with them, helping them with homework, feeding them is serving others, too. God sure made the family the perfect growing place for us, because it’s so easy to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked, instruct the ignorant, counsel the doubtful, admonish the sinner, etc. with children around. :slight_smile: I figure the kids will grow up someday, and then we’ll have even more time and energy to minister to others outside the family.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.